WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Why is Baltimore Jack not in the Appalachian Trail Museum Hall of Fame?

Bob Peoples is in the Hall of Fame, and rightly so. And lots of other worthies who are still with us.

But Baltimore Jack is, alas, no longer with us but is at the very least equally worthy of inclusion in the Hall of Fame. He was the greatest ambassador the AT has ever had in the modern, popularized-trail era (i.e. the 21st century). And his eight through hikes, exploits, hijinks, expert knowledge of the Trail, not to mention his endless "giving back" to the Trail itself and the Trail community is legendary and needs no explanation.

So why isn't Jack in the Hall of Fame? Why hasn't he been nominated and what is the process for that? Is his exclusion political, or is there some other reason?

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

~John Muir

Not aware of what the process is, but based upon my encounters with him and his willingness to share his experience along with his track record, I would consider him a well deserved addition.

I doubt Jack would've wanted it.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

So why isn't Jack in the Hall of Fame?
    Have you formally nominated him for the AT Hall of Fame and had him declined?

Nominations are solicited from the public each year. For 2022 the deadlines for nominations was 1/31/2022.

https://www.atmuseum.org/news/nomina...ugh-january-31
    Last edited by gpburdelljr; 06-23-2022 at 15:04.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blue View Post
    Have you formally nominated him for the AT Hall of Fame and had him declined?
    I haven't, not because I wouldn't nominate him but because I'm unaware of what the nomination process is.

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

~John Muir

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Nominations are solicited from the public each year. For 2022 the deadlines for nominations was 1/31/2022.

https://www.atmuseum.org/news/nomina...ugh-january-31
    Thanks for posting this; I'd never read it before and now I know how this works.

~John Muir

++ New Posts ++