WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: zero days

Default zero days

I'm planning northbound thru hike starting 2/21/23 and want to average 15 miles per day. I'm trying to factor in zero days for resupply, washing clothes, etc. and wanted to know how often most hikers are taking zero days. Is it one per 2 weeks or more? I know unforeseen things will surface but wanted to gauge how long I'll be on the thru hike factoring in the zero days. Thanks!

Zeros cost you extra money, so unless you really need the break, most thru hikers try to avoid them. Weather can be a factor, especially if you start early and need to avoid bad weather (like blizzards or subzero temps). Mostly you try to do "near-O's" - a short hike to get to town, do your town stuff and leave the next morning. If you just need a resupply and can do without a shower (the main reason for going to a hostel or motel), often you can get in and out of town the same day.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

A full zero with two nights in town is unnecessary. It’s possible to spend almost as much time in town with just one night, hiking out late in the day. The nero concept has worked well for me in the past. It’s also possible to plan a short hike in the morning to get into town, do town stuff, and hike out late in the day. There are many places where you can get a shower and do laundry without staying overnight.

I just SOBO’d last summer at 58. Took 11 zeros: 2 with wife, 1 with parents, 3 for funeral in San Francisco.

2 in Millinocket to rest a torn miniscus, 1 in Monson, unnecessary but Poet’s home fries seduced me, 1 in Gotham for tropical storm, 1 from Franconia Notch where a friend met me.

Would have been fine with 7. Agree on Nero’s both for cost and momentum.

Appalachian Trail Outfitters in Elkton Va and Mountain Trails Outfitters in Front Royal offer showers and laundry. No direct charge, but of course it would be a jerk move not to buy some stuff. Lake Tiorati in NY has showers in the beach house. Kent CT has a visitor center with showers, grocery store and laundromat nearby. All pretty easy midday, no motel room stops.

Most of my nearos were getting in mid-late afternoon, do laundry and shower. Get groceries then a big dinner. If possible a big breakfast and hit the trail mid morning.

Started 10 June, finished morning 1 Nov.

Generally resupplied every 4-5 days. Hard to carry much more food than that and stay light.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Zeros cost you extra money, so unless you really need the break, most thru hikers try to avoid them. Weather can be a factor, especially if you start early and need to avoid bad weather (like blizzards or subzero temps). Mostly you try to do "near-O's" - a short hike to get to town, do your town stuff and leave the next morning. If you just need a resupply and can do without a shower (the main reason for going to a hostel or motel), often you can get in and out of town the same day.
    I tend to agree that zeros are overrated and have only recently become a thing. I never plan them. They are entirely circumstantial and I only do them if they are absolutely necessary due to weather, temperature, injury, or something to do with resupply.

Neros, however, are underrated. I would never plan to do a zero at someplace like NOC when you can get a hot meal and coffee, resupply, and then spend the rest of the day hiking to Cheoah Bald and camp there.

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

~John Muir

I think I agree with everyone who has posted so far but just to give a slightly different perspective that I took 2 zeros when hiking the LT (273 miles) and was happy that I did so. The first one my feet were beat up and taking a day off from hiking helped me enjoy the rest of my hike. The second one was because it was forecast to rain all day long and did so. When I hit the trail the day after my zero there were rock scrambles and views and I was happy with my decision. Again I agree that they are not necessary and cost extra money but if they work for you don't be afraid to take one during your hike. I haven't thru-hiked the AT yet so I can't specifically answer your question, but I don't think budgeting for 1 every 3-4 weeks would be unreasonable. You could check some trailjournals of hikers that have similar hiking styles to yours and count how many they took. Hope you have a great hike benefits_boss!
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Garlic
    Images

So much depends on your fitness, experience, mental outlook, preparation, budget, how your gear holds up, etc. My first long hike I took zeroes as often as I could justify it, and it was very expensive. I dropped well over $1000 in today's money in S Lake Tahoe on the PCT for two nights motel, meals, some new clothing, and resupply food, most of which could have been avoided with better planning and a different outlook. By the time I hiked the AT four years later (aged 54), I only took three zeros, mainly to visit friends and family. By then I'd mastered the art of the near-o, as mentioned above. It was a fast and inexpensive hike, about half the cost per mile of the PCT hike. If budget is not a concern and maximum comfort is, don't worry about it at all.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Thanks everyone! Very helpful!

++ New Posts ++