WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I was describing this to someone and they pointed out that the owner went out and begged for money on go fund me to fix the landscape issue presumably to allow the hostel to keep operating and then once the work was done, sold it for a presumable profit?. I wonder if he is going to attempt to pay the publics generosity forward?

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I was describing this to someone and they pointed out that the owner went out and begged for money on go fund me to fix the landscape issue presumably to allow the hostel to keep operating and then once the work was done, sold it for a presumable profit?. I wonder if he is going to attempt to pay the publics generosity forward?
    Yeah, I noted the GoFundMe campaign in my original post. Now that you mention it, it does seem like he bailed as soon as he got the property in sellable condition. I wonder if that was his plan all along. I contributed to that GoFundMe, and I would not be happy if that was his intent. I contributed so he could continue on with the hostel as I'm sure everyone else did.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Keep in mind he was probably upside down on payments from two years of covid so it may have been a choice between the bank grabbing it and a quick sale. The odd part is there is still activity there and the shuttle van is still there so maybe he sold it including the hostel equipment.

BTW RT 2 has lot of traffic right out the front door with the headlights from cars turning off of North Road flashing in the front of the building all night.

Default History

I stayed there in 2013 and had a great time. The hostel opened that year after the mother of a pair of thru-hikers fell in love with a hostel down south. I believe she was in the fashion business and had money to spend.

I stayed there again in 2016, and you could tell she was a bit worn down from it all.

Nicest and most pleasant hostel I’ve stayed at (second to Jeff’s Green Mountain House.)

Now that's its 2023 any updates on what has become of the Rattle River Hostel? Private home now? Or someone reopening it as a hostel/hotel?
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

No signage, looks like a private home. The shuttle van from the prior hostel had been parked there up until last year (long after the sale) but unless they moved it out of sight, it is not there anymore.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++