WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 10-15 mile (2 nights) hike suggestions

I would appreciate suggestions for some good 2 night/ 3 day hikes covering 10 to maybe 18 miles. A loop or lollipop loop fairly close to Atlanta is what I'm looking for. An out and back would also be OK but not ideal. As a point of reference I'm considering the 20 mile loop in the Sipsey Wilderness but I think its a little too difficult for me and my hiking buddy to complete in two days and still enjoy the trip. We're trying to avoid the crowds of people on the AT this time of year.

I've found that planning this is harder than anticipated so I'm asking for suggestions. Every loop I find is either way too short, way too long, too hard or too far away.

A couple classic loops do-able in three days (or less) that are less of a drive from Atlanta than Sipsey:
    • Pin Chin Sky loop in Cheaha Wilderness in AL
    • Standing Indian loop in Southern Nantahala Wilderness in NC
    • Make a loop in the Cohutta Wilderness

Just noticed your mileage requirements; Standing Indian loop is gonna be longer than that. Pin Chin Sky loop is at the top end of your range though.

Quote Originally Posted by Slugg View Post
    Just noticed your mileage requirements; Standing Indian loop is gonna be longer than that. Pin Chin Sky loop is at the top end of your range though.
    Thanks. I love the cohutta wilderness and have done many hikes there but its always a question mark due to trail conditions. I'm over double your age and if the blow downs are bad or the river is high a manageable hike gets unmanegeable pretty quick. I eliminated the Pin-Chin loop due to the difficulty/miles. I'll give it another look though.

Sounds like you are already pretty familiar with your options. Have you considered the Coosa Backcountry Trail, starting from Vogel SP?

I know some of the options but not all of them. I'm going with someone else and trying to chose something that suits him. I like the real wilderness places and he prefers the AT. There are too many newbs on the AT right now for my taste. I'm not familiar with the coosa backcountry trail but I look into it. We were both hoping to find a decent loop and not an end to end or out and back. A good loop is hard to find.

++ New Posts ++