WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Plugging my new home.
    The Hiking Project App from REI covers these trails.
    Stone Mountain State Park. FREE ADMISSION!
    From the Lower Parking Lot:
    An easy trail from the parking lot will take you to a restored homestead with explanatory exhibits. Stone Mountain looms over the Homestead.
    Blue Ridge Parkway:
    The Doughton Park area and newly reopened Bluffs Restaurant has history of the area and gentle trails.
    A short trail starts at the Information center and Store next door to the restaurant. You can get directions there to a trail that runs north parallel to the parkway for 1/4-1/2 mile, crosses the parkway and enters the forest. It’s a gentle trail for a mile or so. Lovely meadows and long range views into Virginia.
    Turn around after a mile or so when you enter the thick forest and start going downhill.
    The Bluff Mountain Trail parallels the Parkway and is fairly level. It’s accessible from some of the overlook parking areas.
    The Parkway and overlooks are quite nice from US HWY 21 south to US HWY 421. There’s a detour around a bridge repair project at Laurel Springs. Follow the Detour signs and you will return to the Parkway.
    Have fun!
    Winter doesn’t usually happen up here until after Thanksgiving. In fact Thanksgiving is a lovely time to visit the Parkway and northwestern North Carolina.
    Wayne

The vortex sites in Sedona are fairly easy hikes and are beautiful. March to mid April is a great time to visit. Woods Canyon is just south of Sedona, there is a trailhead at the Red Rocks Ranger Station, my wife and I did a nice out and back one afternoon. Probably one of the most peaceful and serene hikes I have ever experienced.

The La Verkin Creek trail from Lee's Pass to Kolob Arch trail in Zion NP, also a nice out and back hike.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Ditto on Mountain Harbour. Amazing breakfast

Dolly Sods in West Virginia. Look it up you will love it. there are many pictures and videos showing it. I have never heard any body that did not love it. I am going next week I love the Sods on a clear night the stars go forever. If you can not backpack there are places to stay. Cannan Resort is close to stay if you just want to day hike the Sods. you and your wife will be in my prayers your on a road I have just traveled with my husband.

Ok I know I've already given my suggestion and you've already chosen were to go. But I have to second the Dolly Sods area.
    It's my favorite and best hiking I've ever had. What a incredibly beautiful diverse place. There's a 30 mile loop hike very easy.
    And yes on a clear night you can see the milky way ,awesome!
    Just do yourselves a favor and Google Dollysods.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    If looking for anything closer to FL, whether a scenic detour on the way back, or another trip, here are a few suggestions:

The Roan Mountain balds are very popular with good reason. Its an easy hike to the balds for 360-view eye candy. About an hour off I-26 from Unicoi, TN but worth the drive. Better yet, stay at Mountain Harbour hostel and let them shuttle you to several excellent spots in the vicinity.

Coming south from Roan, I'd do the Blue Ridge Pkwy for whatever distance you can before and after Asheville, taking in the city for at least a day. There are the highest altitudes on the BRP and some great pulloffs along the way to stop and enjoy the cool mountain air.

Wayah Bald outside of Franklin, NC has a wonderful view, especially early in the a.m., and its both drivable and relatively uncrowded for as easy as it is to access.

Lots of hikes around these areas that might be good if interested.

p.s. I have relatives that live on N. Merritt Island.
    I'm so sorry for your circumstances.

I would add Max Patch to the vicinity of the Roan trip, you can drive to within I believe 0.9 miles of the summit. It is a climb, but then you have an open three-quarters of a mile or so of 360 degree views. It's one of the few places I've hiked more than once on the trail.

Tim

More in my new neighborhood:
    I haven’t been yet. I need to fix that.
    New River National Park in West Virginia.
    Have fun!
    Wayne

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++