WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How many water crossings/fords on BMT?

Starting a thru hike Sobo on the BMT Jan 1 of 23. Trying to get a handle on how many times I’ll get my feet wet crossing creeks/rivers during the hike. Thought someone knowledgeable on here may know or at least have a ball park

Can't speak of the Smokies but from Fontana south there are very few. In fact, the first one is on the other side of Sugar Mt above the fish hatchery where you have to cross upper Bald River (easy) and eventually you cross Brookshire Creek at the bottom. Then another Brookshire crossing about a half mile further up. Then you reach Sled Runner Gap and State Line Ridge/Sandy Gap to Six Mile Gap to Tate Gap and Unicoi Gap---no crossings.

The next crossings are south of Hiway 68 along Hiwassee River---Loss Creek and Towee Creek. There's there's Ellis Creek before the trail parallels Lost Creek into Little Frog Wilderness and down to Ocoee River with road bridge. In Big Frog you cross the West Fork of Rough Creek 3 times---usually easy. Then it's dry to Big Frog Mt and down into Cohutta wilderness to the northern terminus of Pinhoti trail. ETC.

I recall my feet being wet all day from crossings a couple days in the Smokes. Maybe 10-15 creek crossings give or take depending on season. The BMTA guide book would show you most if not all crossings.

I know ther is one on enloe creek not too far from the campsite at the bridge.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gjbu View Post
    I know ther is one on enloe creek not too far from the campsite at the bridge.
    In addition to the ford along enole creek, there are a few fords along the upper sections of Noland Creek trail.
    There might be a ford along the short section of Deep Creek trail (don't recall if the fords are along that section or sections farther north).

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    In addition to the ford along enole creek, there are a few fords along the upper sections of Noland Creek trail.
    There might be a ford along the short section of Deep Creek trail (don't recall if the fords are along that section or sections farther north).
    We did a little loop spring of 2021 that included those fords on Noland Creek Trail. If I recall correctly, it was early May and unseasonably cold, quite brisk actually, with sleet/snow flurries when we returned to our vehicle on Clingman's Dome Road. My long-legged husband was able to rock hop the crossings. I had to wade. That water was SO COLD! Only about 6-8 inches deep, but several feet across, and left me gasping. I can still remember the weird feeling of warmth as the blood rushed back after the ford.

Great info. Thanks for the help! A couple questions about the crossings mentioned. Do all of those require fording at normal water levels or are some rock hop able?

How doable are they barefoot?

(I ask because I’ve had feet problems with continued wet feet on long Mile days)

I did the southern half of the BMT in 2014. The days blur together at this point, but there were definitely a couple of them where there were quite a few shallow water crossings without obvious rock hopping options. Maybe in full heigh boots I'd have been able to keep my feet dry, but with minimal shoes I didn't even try. Just walked straight through and let them dry afterwards. It's worth mentioning that a huge storm came through at the end of the second day, so there may just have been a lot more water in the area than normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonbab View Post
    Great info. Thanks for the help! A couple questions about the crossings mentioned. Do all of those require fording at normal water levels or are some rock hop able?

How doable are they barefoot?

(I ask because I’ve had feet problems with continued wet feet on long Mile days)
    January creek crossings are usually difficult due to both the butt cold water and possible ice on the creek rocks. A nimble youthful backpacker with a light pack should be able to jump from rock to rock gazelle like w/o concern; an old backpacker with a 90 lb pack is best served by wading thru creeks either in water shoes or in boots.

With a good pair of gtx boots a backpacker can often do these crossings submerged down to 6 inches and still keep his/her socks dry---like this---

Trip 190 (158)-XL.jpg

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

The ones in GSMNP will vary... I know I've rock hopped all the ford's on Noland before, but I believe that was at low water. Every other time, at least one has required a ford. I've seen where someone has tried to stack rocks at Enole creek to make it hopable, but I feel I'm when I tried walking across the rocks. As for barefoot... I don't risk crossing creeks barefoot unless I absolutely MUST. Otherwise, I try to carry some light weight shoes to keep my feet safe at water crossings. I've also used the trick or removing the inner sole and hiking across in liner socks. Then bit the wool socks back on for a while to try to absorb some of the moisture, and then reinsert the insole and fresh socks the next day.

Images

In the Smokies there are also 4 crossings on Pole Road Creek (between Noland Creek and Deep Creek). As HooKooDooKu said the Smokies crossings can vary greatly. It would be dry and able to be rock hopped or they crossings could be torrents. In January you could have snow at the elevation or rain or even snow melt.

++ New Posts ++