WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Time to Retire - Gear for Sale

The time has come to let go of some of my treasured acquisitions along with the delusions that I will ever actually go backpacking!
    What I'm listing here is barely used (if at all) and can be better put to use by someone with more hutzpah (and strength) than me.
    Everything has been well-cared for, stored in a clean, dry, environment and only brought out for the occasional longing perusal.
    All Prices include shipping (but only to the lower 48), and I will happily follow up with pics at a PM request.

Thanks for looking, and I hope you find something you like

PACKS:
    REI Flash 60 Women's S Laguna Blue (used 1 overnight in GSMNP) $85

Zpacks Arc Scout 50L Green DCF w/ belt pouch, wallet, umbrella holster (no umbrella) (used for 1 dayhike in PA) $325

Tent:
    Zpacks Plexamid Solo w/ 48" carbon fiber pole, spruce, w/DCF stuff sack (used 1 overnight at Pierce Pond) $450

Sleeping Bag:
    Western Mountaineering Puma -25* short (5'6") 850fill down NEVER USED w/stuff sack and storage bag $800

Bear Containers:
    Garcia Backpacker's Cache 10Ltr NEVER USED but nicely decorated with an AT in reflective tape $65

Bear Boxer 101 Contender 4.5Ltr Never Used $45 SOLD

Other Stuff:
    Zpacks Evernew Ultra Lite .6 Ltr Titanium pot w/ lid and sack Never Used $40

Outdoor Products Backpacker Poncho - one size, green Never Used $25

Well, I hope this stuff finds a happy home, but more importantly, is put to good use.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 07-25-2022 at 21:08.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

I will take the Bear Boxer. I have to figure out how to PM you!

Journal Entries
    Images

Got the PM, thanks. I'm holding for you.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Journal Entries
    Images

Renewed post

Journal Entries

Sorry to see you letting go of your dream Teacher. It's weird how the AT can find a place in your heart and soul, but it does! Even if you aren't able to backpack as you intended, I hope you are still able to get out and enjoy the more accessible parts of the trail. Many of the miles in between are a blur anyway.

I'm sorry, that's a tough decision to have to make. Hope you can continue to enjoy the trail in other ways.

I'm mulling right now whether I will take a step back from backpacking in rough terrain and high altitudes once I finish my AT section hike next year or in 2024. It's a much smaller decision, but I'm still finding it to be hard.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thank you both for the condolences...it is, in fact, excrutiating.
    I don't think I'll be out again this year even for day hikes, but things could improve and I could be wrong..(and will be happy about it)!

Meanwhile, I'm bumping this post because I still want to lighten the gear load if possible. I have more than what I need for day trips.

Also, I should note that the Bear Cache container, while never used for it's intended purpose, does actually have a slightly scratched bottom. It functioned as a table for a make-your-own-pb&j trail magic station at the Woody Gap and Unicoi Gap trailheads (May 2021).
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 08-24-2022 at 17:36.

Images

Sorry to hear you are hanging it up. I turned 75 this year and bought all new equipment hoping I will still be able to complete the trail. At least get back to find out what is going to wear out on my body next.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

This post makes me sad Teacher.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I think gear with a little patina is more valuable. I recommend you do a section hike first to maximize your return. Of course, if you then decide to keep going, no harm!

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Sorry to hear you are hanging it up. I turned 75 this year and bought all new equipment hoping I will still be able to complete the trail. At least get back to find out what is going to wear out on my body next.
    Just take your time and enjoy every mile. Finished my section hike in 2021 over 10 years. "Planning" a potential thru in 2025.

Journal Entries
    Images

I've found homes for most of this gear among family and friends with the assurance that I can always "borrow it back" should things improve.
    Thanks everyone for your comments, encouragement and/or condolences. I'll be closing this thread, but will still be kicking around on and off the trail in some capacity.

++ New Posts ++