WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Massachusetts 2-3 Loop Ideas with Teens

Looking for a 2-3 hike suggestion on the AT in the Berkshires with beginner teens - ideally should be a loop but it can be an out and back as well.
    Should have some good climbs and views for fun.

Hard to determine what condition these teens are in to suggest specific loop trails. For example, if they are in decent shape and have their gear dialed in, Mt Greylock area has some great views and a few challenging climbs and one can make loops out of the trail system such as the Money Brook/Prospect/Williams/Fitch/Greylock summit/Stoney Point (camping area), which is a pretty serious hike over a few days for teens.

However, if the teens are new to this, they may not be able to do more than 5 to 7 miles comfortably that less challenging terrain would be preferable that can be found south of Greylock on an out/back route using shelters as stopping points.
    Last edited by Traveler; 07-27-2022 at 07:48.

I did Greylock recently as a loop. I went up Bellows Pipe, AT to the summit, then down Gould and there was a connector trail back to the start of Bellows Pipe. There was a shelter up Bellows Pipe but I think you may need to reserve that one. You could also of course go north or south on the AT to the next campsite if you wanted to turn this into a backpacking loop.

I know its not Massachusetts, but just south of the border you could also do a loop around Bear Mountain, CT. I went up Undermountain trail, connected with the AT and just south of the junction there is the Brassie Brook camp. After tagging Bear Mountain I backtracked a little and you can hike down to the dirt road to the west of Bear Mountain. At that point you could hike up to Mt. Frissell or just head back to the AT at the border of CT/MA and then hike the Paradise Lane trail back to Undermountain thereby completing a loop.

Finally others have told me about a 35 mile-ish loop of the AT and Mohawk trail in Connecticut. I haven't done this loop myself but I believe the loop is created by using the old AT and the current AT.

Hope this is helpful and that you have a fun trip!
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

The rule of thumb I've read for years is that you can expect kids to be able tp hike their age in miles per day, and from a personal experience, I find kids often handle hills better than adults.
    Since you're talking about teenagers, ANYTHING that is only about 10 miles or so per day should be able to do fine. The only other rule to keep in mind is that the TOTAL weight of their pack shouldn't be more than 20% of their body weight (with closer to 15% being more ideal).

Bit late to the game but I used to do backpacking with kids in that area. We would start on rt 8 in Cheshire next to Delmolino and Sons, hike in to Mark Nopel for the first night, lunch at the top of Greylock, and then Wilbur Clearing shelter for a second night. Lunch at Renee’s diner and then hung out at Mass Mocha until we got picked up. It was a great route.

++ New Posts ++