WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Baby Stuff/ Gear

I am wondering if any cottage manufacturer sells newborn/baby- tailored gear. Might seem out of place in this forum, but I figured a lot of things for babies are heavy / bulky and made in China. There has to be a way to design good quality, ultra-light, compact and foldable gear for ultra-light travels.

And yet, a lot of the ingenuity and tricks used by the ultra-light cottage community would well apply to sone of the newborn/baby/toddler gear.

- Swings and bouncer in titanium / ultralight fabrix that could fold for travel
    - Cribs in ultralight material that could fold for carry on air travels
    - Ultralight baby carriers.

Anybody design this sort of stuff?
    Minos

Sounds like a plan! Get started!

Images

Ultralight high absorbent diapers are a priority

In my experience raising 3 kids, all of their affiliated equipment is already compact and portable. The articles of use you identify may well benefit from being even lighter but keep comfort in mind when you’re working your thing. Babies cry a lot already. You don’t need them telling you they hate how titanium tastes.

Carbon fiber might taste better?

Images

https://themilkandhoneyco.com/
    this company makes some nice baby sleeping bags.
    The issue with making baby stuff (in the USA) are all the safety regulations involved. I doubt you will find any of the cottage gear companies (Me- LightHeart Gear included) doing this - every buckle, snap etc has to be tested for lead, and you have to have the paperwork to go with it, things like hood cords are generally a no go as they can be a strangulation hazard etc. These regulations were updated some years ago which made it even harder to do here. My business insurance won't even allow me to sew baby stuff for other companies.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    The issue with making baby stuff (in the USA) are all the safety regulations involved. I doubt you will find any of the cottage gear companies (Me- LightHeart Gear included) doing this - every buckle, snap etc has to be tested for lead, and you have to have the paperwork to go with it, things like hood cords are generally a no go as they can be a strangulation hazard etc. These regulations were updated some years ago which made it even harder to do here. My business insurance won't even allow me to sew baby stuff for other companies.
    Glad I wasn’t a baby when I thru hiked cuz I sure did love my LightHeart raincoat. Tough and light.

Go for it!
    Made In America!

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    Thanks a bunch. Interesting.

++ New Posts ++