WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Shuttle needed, late October near NJ/NY border trail crossing

I'm striking out with the AT shuttle list, I sent 5 requests 4-5 days ago, only got one response (a "no").

I need a ride from some some Avis car return near the NJ/NY border to an AT road crossing somewhere near Greenwood lake. Right now I'm using the Avis in Nanuet NY, 30 road miles from Greenwood lake. There's also an Avis in Middletown NY.

Anyone know of a current AT shuttle provider in that area?

The date would be October 28th, a Friday. The next day, the 29th would work as well.

Any info appreciated, thanks.

(my wife is finishing up her complete AT; she needs only ~170 miles from Culver gap to Salisbury CT, I'm joining her near the NJ/NY border)

Images

I had the same trouble finding shuttles in that section (this was in 2020, when many shuttlers had suspended operations).

I ended up getting a ride from Carl out of Greenwood Lake (he's on the shuttler list). I remember it took him a week or so to call me back, but he was dependable and showed up on time.
    It's all good in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    I had the same trouble finding shuttles in that section (this was in 2020, when many shuttlers had suspended operations).

I ended up getting a ride from Carl out of Greenwood Lake (he's on the shuttler list). I remember it took him a week or so to call me back, but he was dependable and showed up on time.
    Go to Guthooks/FarOut. Locate Mosey's Place. She does shuttles. Hiker friendly and dependable.

I'm not a shuttle guy but send me an email closer to the date if you are still stuck. I live in Wayne NJ.
    [email protected]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hopetofinish View Post
    Go to Guthooks/FarOut. Locate Mosey's Place. She does shuttles. Hiker friendly and dependable.
    Excellent tip, thanks. Good old Guthooks! didn't think to look there.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post

funny, I didn't try Carl yet, but I will now, thanks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by spfleisig View Post
    I'm not a shuttle guy but send me an email closer to the date if you are still stuck. I live in Wayne NJ.
    [email protected]
    thanks! I'll pay well, of course. I'll keep shopping and holler if I get stuck.

I live an hour or so away and may be able to help on those dates, if other options fall through PM me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    I live an hour or so away and may be able to help on those dates, if other options fall through PM me.
    thanks traveler! I have two backups now, cool. My wife is looking forward to finishing her AT hike in good old Connecticut! Nothing too exciting, like Katahdin, but it will be a pleasant (and colorful!) finish.

George Lightcap is the man
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

So many AT shuttle drivers are non-responsive, and many in FarOut are fly-by-night.

Give Uber a try. I've always been able to get an Uber, even if it takes a little time, when I strike out with AT shuttlers. Another option since you're gonna be at Avis, call ahead and see if someone there can give you a ride. Rental places sometimes do this if they have capacity.
    It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    So many AT shuttle drivers are non-responsive, and many in FarOut are fly-by-night.

Give Uber a try. I've always been able to get an Uber, even if it takes a little time, when I strike out with AT shuttlers. Another option since you're gonna be at Avis, call ahead and see if someone there can give you a ride. Rental places sometimes do this if they have capacity.
    Enterprise is the best at giving you a ride. AWOL's used to have an AT discount for them (still may, completed my hike in 2021).

Images

Thanks all! One of those options will certainly work. BTW, we just moved our trip left from Late October to late September. Long story. Might be easier to find rides in late September too.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Enterprise is the best at giving you a ride. AWOL's used to have an AT discount for them (still may, completed my hike in 2021).
    I've used Enterprise many times on the AT (and other trails), used to work great. NOW, they seem to never have any cars, anywhere. they sold a majority of their fleet I believe to survive the Covid downer in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    George Lightcap is the man
    His published email doesn't work. I'll try calling him.

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post

Give Uber a try. I've always been able to get an Uber, even if it takes a little time..
    Probably not any Uber drivers out where I'm talking about, but I could always try.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I'm striking out with the AT shuttle list, I sent 5 requests 4-5 days ago, only got one response (a "no").

I need a ride from some some Avis car return near the NJ/NY border to an AT road crossing somewhere near Greenwood lake. Right now I'm using the Avis in Nanuet NY, 30 road miles from Greenwood lake. There's also an Avis in Middletown NY.

Anyone know of a current AT shuttle provider in that area?

The date would be October 28th, a Friday. The next day, the 29th would work as well.

Any info appreciated, thanks.

(my wife is finishing up her complete AT; she needs only ~170 miles from Culver gap to Salisbury CT, I'm joining her near the NJ/NY border)
    Are you using the shuttle provider listing that is available for download on the WB home page?

Try sending the shuttle operators a text message. You may get a better response if they are very busy.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Journal Entries

NJ transit buses go very close if you could drop off somewhere else. I think the 196 or 197.

++ New Posts ++