Default Hiking PCT in Central Oregon in May?

I have done section hikes on the AT totaling about 600 miles and a few hundred miles in the Beartooth Mountains in Montana where I spend my summers but I have no experience hiking in Oregon or anywhere on the West Coast.

I will be in Oregon in mid-May, 2023 until June 1, 2023 and was interested in hiking from Charlton Lake (MM 1925) to Government Camp (MM 2092) starting around May 15.

I looked at a website called Postholer.com and scrolled to something called their "Pacific Crest Trail Data Book". If I am reading this website correctly it says that Section F (Hwy 242 McKenzie Pass to Hwy 35 Barlow Pass) has 57.4% snow cover on average in May?

Looking at the elevations for that area of the PCT, other than in a few areas that exceed 6,000 feet, I did not expect that much snow cover in May. Generally, I don't think we have 60% snow cover in May at 7,500 foot elevation in Montana outside Yellowstone.

My question: Is it reasonable, after an average winter, to hike from Charlton Lake to Government Camp in mid to late May? Will the trail be covered with snow in most of that area in May and not passable or at least very tough going?

I am 63 years old and in reasonably good shape. Temperatures ranging in 10's to 60's are fine given my gear but I would not want to go on a death march for 150 miles through knee-deep snow.

After doing some very quick online research, I am starting to think maybe I should pass on this hike in May.

Thanks for any guidance!

Not sure if this is helpful or not, but your question is a good one, especially if you are planning a spring distance hike there. As information, the National Forest Service has a closure order for what appears to be the entire Willamette National Forest due to fires and remains in effect until June 25 per the notice link (https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...prd1049655.pdf). This may change your plans given the closure and potential difficulties fire scarred areas will present.

My spring hiking experience is more in the Cascades in central WA State at that time of year, which May (to me) is a bit early for a trail above 3,000 feet or so to be clear of snow. Typically I have run into light snow pack (6" - 10" or so) at the 2,000 to 3,000 foot mark, sometimes lower depending on sun exposure, winter snowfall amount, and drifting conditions. Usually microspikes are suitable for this. However at higher elevations there can be much more snow, especially in the shade areas and drift deposition where snowshoes could be work, though crampons (or microspikes) can be practical if the snow has turned to ice. I have not found hiking conditions in May/June to be without snow/ice challenges unless I stay with lower elevation trails. You may find better information calling the National Forest Service office for the Willamette National Forest which is in the link above.

Good luck!

I would expect a decent amount of snow in that area. The Three Sisters Wilderness holds snow pretty late in the season, especially if it's shaded. The section north of the Mount Jefferson Wilderness to Government Camp will likely be in good shape though.

Hopefully the OP has been watching the weather and sees that the west coast got a record shattering amount of snow so far this winter.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++