WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Seasons?

Default Seasons?

Which one do you prefer to hike/camp in and why?
    Because , why not?

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Autumn! Drier trails, smaller crowds, less bugs, cooler days & nights, fall colors. The only downsides are the shorter days, dried up water supplies, and the occasional hurricane (which takes care of downside #2), but on balance, it's my favorite time.

In Northern Virginia, fall (mid October through November) is excellent for foliage and great weather. Late winter and early spring is great for views. I'm not a huge fan of summer backpacking due to heat and humidity but I sometimes day hike. The depths of winter are fine for day hiking but I'm not a fan of camping with temps below the mid-20s.

For me it depends on the trail. If I’m on an established, well-used trail I’ll prefer the fall for pretty much all the reasons Deadeye mentioned. But if I’m on little-used wilderness trails, I’ll take the winter when everything is dead. Easier to navigate and see my surroundings. I’d also add that around here, late spring and early fall are similar to summer in terms of bugs and more so overgrowth..So spring and fall are great, but sadly short.

While the Fall promises cooler weather just about anywhere you go, the downside is shorter and shorter days. I really enjoyed hiking the middle sections of the AT in the Fall. However, I have more of a preference for Spring. It tends to be cool and the days get progressively longer (I usually do LASH's where that makes a difference). As the warmer weather slowly arrives, going north delays its arrival. Yeah, Spring is better.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Short fall days are definitely a downside of that season for people like me who aren't big fans of being in camp. I like hiking, not camping, so when we get into 13 and 14 hour nights, I often opt for day hiking rather than overnights.

Almost 309 views and 5 replies
    I totally suck at this

Winter all the way for me. No bugs or snakes, much less chance of bear encounters, less people on the trails, and everything looks prettier covered in snow. I generally only do day hikes anymore, so the shorter days aren't an issue for me. Fall isn't bad, as long as the temps are cool throughout the day.

Fall for me.

While late summer and autumn are perfect for hiking from all points of view, the big downside is that its very crowderd here in the Alps.
    As I'm living here in the middle of all those great mountains and am retired (so free to chose my favorite time to hike), I pretty much resorted to winter in the more recent years.
    Hiking in winter gives some great adventures even on plain and simple hikes, and I find it easier to deal with the cold and snow, than to fight heat and humidity.
    I have to add that I'm usually out for 3-5 consecutive days and really aprecciate coming back home for a hot shower and a decent meal after that.

Ozark Highland Trail is one of my favorites with a split personality.

Spring is a nice time to hike just before leaf out. Water is abundant making carries minimal. Sometimes there can be too much of a good thing making creek crossings sketchy (e.g. Hurricane Creek).

Late fall is also nice, but the finding water can be a problem in the wrong hiking year. Another annoyance are the Hitchhiker weeds. One can spend an eternity removing them from pants & socks.

Spring. You have better views more flowers bigger flow on waterfalls

Quote Originally Posted by Recalc View Post
    Ozark Highland Trail is one of my favorites with a split personality.

Spring is a nice time to hike just before leaf out. Water is abundant making carries minimal. Sometimes there can be too much of a good thing making creek crossings sketchy (e.g. Hurricane Creek).

Late fall is also nice, but the finding water can be a problem in the wrong hiking year. Another annoyance are the Hitchhiker weeds. One can spend an eternity removing them from pants & socks.
    That is why I crossed it in August last year. But based upon all the spider webs on the rest of the trail, I would not recommend it.

Each season has its advantage. Temps best in Spring and Fall. Long hours in Fall. Happy to just get out in woods in Winter as long as not too cold.

Journal Entries
    Images

Autumn fo sho!! Nothing like walking through a Crayola Box with a Wonderful Chill in the air!!!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Journal Entries
    Images

Autumn fo sho!! Nothing like walking through a Crayola Box with a Wonderful Chill in the air!!! Was lucky enough to post up for a week in Bryson City, NC., last peak season & day hike over 80 miles. Truly Spectacular!!!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Hunting season and fire season. One for the food, one for the free heat. Then end of season for the bargain hiking.

And be sure to give a season’s greeting to your fellow hikers, no matter what time of year!!

For me, my favorite time of year is late summer (Septemberish) through early spring (Aprilish) for both hiking and camping. Few insects to deal with, weather is a bit more predicable (which can add a "weight penalty" to the game) and temperatures tend to be less humid and hot depending where one goes, and colder temperatures and/or winter conditions tend to keep trail populations down.

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    Autumn fo sho!! Nothing like walking through a Crayola Box with a Wonderful Chill in the air!!!
    I like this, I got lucky one year on a week section through VA and timing was perfect for the buetiful colors ,fall smells and cool temp. Spring is probably my next favorite and then winter which I've spent alot $ on warm stuff so I can deal with it. Summer time not so much I'm better at keeping warm than trying to keep cool.
    Thank you everyone for responding))

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++