I'd like to section-hike the AT but within reason.

I'm close to 66yo and have hiked about 300 miles - Lehigh Gap to Great Barrington. Because of commitments at home (and because I don't think my body could handle it), through hiking and LONG sections are not in the cards.

I'd like to finish the AT by the time I'm 72. Hopefully I'll still be able to do the required hiking by then. That means hiking 322 miles per year. Next to calculate is how many miles per month, and that is where question arises. How many months at the beginning and end of the calendar year are "hike-able" at the southern end? When does the season open in Georgia and when does it end. In the summer months, I'll be hiking the northern sections. Is October hiking still fine in Georgia? The Carolinas? How about November? April?

I don't mind hiking in cold weather (winter is the best time for hiking in NJ), but I choose my days cautiously so I'm not hiking in a storm. Cold and snow is fine, dangerous (icy) is not.

What I'm trying to determine is how many months are hike-able so I can calculate miles per month which will help me to decide if I can do one 50-mile week or two 30-mile trips or...

Thanks in advance for your consideration
Doc