WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Info on hostels and shuttles between Davenport Gap and Hot Springs

I'm doing a short section hike with two friends in mid-September. The plan is to stay in Hot Springs, catch a shuttle back to Davenport Gap and then hike back to our vehicles in Hot Springs. Any recommendations on a place to stay in Hot Springs?...especially one that may provide shuttle service? Has anyone had a good experience with an independent shuttle provider for that section of the Trail?

Also, if Davenport Gap is considered a part of the GSMNP, do we have to get permits to enter the park - and then immediately hike out of it?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

On the Front page - https://whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php - Hostels and shuttles -

Elmers and Laughing Hear are popular hostels. I don't know the availability for hostels outside of the season. If you want to go high end, there is the HS Resort and Spa.

Permits/Reservations are only required for camping. Registration for day hiking is not required.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Not in Hot Springs itself, but about 6.5 miles south, Happy Gnomad is a pretty cool hostel. Couple miles off trail at Garenflo Gap. Clean. Well stocked fridge with reasonable prices 865 256 2654 or 828 206 2074

Thanks to all for the info!

Journal Entries
    Images

Anywhere but the Alpine Motel in HS. Also, the new owners of Laughing Heart are questionable with the husband starting trouble with our group a month or so ago when his wife and son went out for a section hike. We were just having a few beers and conversing & he told us to go to bed because it is at quiet hours?! You don't tell anyone to go to bed, we are all adults and were being extremely quiet and even moved to the rear of the building away from any rooms. He was extremely rude stating that section hikers and other types of travelers, motorcyclers, or whatever, are not really what he wanted there, just thru's because they mostly go to bed @ hiker midnight. When I thru-hiked I stayed up as late as i wanted having few beers & enjoying the company of new friends. I do wish them the best and hope their self-inflicted stress of owning a hiker hostel subsides and they realize what a great community ALL Adventures offer + if they only want to cater to thru's, I don't see how you make it in a small AT town.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Journal Entries
    Images

Also, I have stayed at Elmers a few times & really enjoyed it there & the peacefulness of his backyard! I have also stayed at Spring Brook Cottages and they are always perfect just around the corner from the Iron Horse Saloon (which also has rooms)
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

++ New Posts ++