WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Tent camping near Pinkham Notch

I am visiting the Whites in September planning on doing the Pemi loop but also have Lakes of the Clouds booked for my 2nd night and plan to hike to that area from Pinkham Notch Tuckerman Ravine trail up and back the next day via Crawford, Davis, Boott Spur. I am looking for some form of paid campground in a valley for my first night. I will be driving from Logan Airport on a Saturday and currently have Lafayette Place campground reserved for my first night but also my last night and from there it is about an hours drive to Pinkham so wonder about staying somewhere in the east my first night about a half hour or less away from Pinkham but not a longer drive from Boston. When I was last in the area the night I was at Layfayette there was a storm and I saw very little of the area and the next night had Pinkham reserved so did not really get to see the Layfayette area.

I get the impression the eastern side of the region is more commercial which I woud not care for. I ultimatley want to do the least amount of driving. The last time I was in the area I hiked from Pinkham to Madison Spring Hut for the first night and then over Washington to Lakes Hut for the 2nd night of my traverse. Are the trail I mention to Mt Washington more interesting than the ones from the West as I get the impression they are.

After I return from the Lakes hut I will be driving to the Lincoln Wood parking lot to start my Pemi Loop and after that plan to drive to Lafayette Place and the next day back to Logan Airport where I see a tunnel will be closed to exit the airport and go north.

Dolly Copp Campground is a USFS campground just up the road on RT 16 (Maybe 10 minutes north), you can do reservations through recreation.gov. I have not been there since extensive renovations (it was closed for two years). They had wooded spots, field spots and spots for trailer type campers. Its a large place and arguably the premier USFS campground in the whites. The private campgrounds in Shelburne NH are an extra 15 to 20 minutes north but cater to the ATV crowd. The commercial campgrounds south of Pinkham are not that convenient and pricey.

BTW your hikes sound quite agressive, the Pemi loop for most is a three day event. Do you possibly mean the one day Franconia Ridge Loop that starts and end at Lafayette Place?

Comment on driving from Boston. I93 is the straightest shot out of Boston. RT 16 is not a straight and is far slower especially through the Conway NH area to south of Ossipee. Unless you are staying Northeast of Boston I 93 is the fastest option. Boston is going to be major mess as one of the Orange T lines is closed so lots more traffic in the streets.

Journal Entries

Can anyone give me information on what are the most secluded camptsites at Dolly Copp. I have seen the map and the forest service website regarding it but as usual the forest servcie site gives very little info. I had wondered about that before but would prefer to be away from trailers and not in a field and surrounded by the most trees as possible. I do see some sites cannot be reserved and I get the imperssion some of them are in areas like this but since I do not know what time of day I would arrive I would prefer to reserve just like my first night arriving from the airport.

I feel the same way when trying to figure out the best site in a campground. I was at Dolly Copp this summer and I thought it was very nice. There are some walk-in spots and some loops without electric so you should be able to figure out how to stay away from any larger RVs. I went mid-week and was able to get one of the many first come first serve sites. I asked when I pulled in for a recommendation of a wooded site and the nice lady at the gate helped me pick a good site for me. Hope this is helpful!
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

++ New Posts ++