WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Laundry in the backcountry

I just finished a great section from Amicalola, Ga. approach trail to Winding Stair, NC. Ran into approximately 20 SOBO thru hikers/flip floppers on the 11 day 118 mile section. I was heading NOBO and was the only one doing laundry in camp. I am no prude and don't expect not to stink, but I do make an effort to stay clean by taking a pit bath+feet/ bottle shower, and washing my hiking shirt, underwear and socks. I carry two large ziplocks and use one for soap and one to rinse (yes, far from the stream, out of camp, etc). I wash and wring in the evening. Hang overnight out of the dew and then use diaper pins to secure to my pack in the daytime. I find it takes until 4:00 the next day to get things fairly dry. Darn tough medium weight socks take 1.5 days to dry. Temps were 40-60 and naturally the humidity was high. I have a comfortable base weight and carry alternating hiking shirts, alternating shorts and 3 pairs of socks. One thru hiker told me he would be too tired nightly to clean up. There is no sun in the green tunnel when the leaves are on. Is there a trick I am missing to help my clothes dry?

I also wash and rinse socks and underwear, and occasionally my hiking shirt, while on the trail in a large ziplock bag. A bear box also works well. Of course, it helps if you have a sunny spot to hang in camp. Depending on the moisture in the clothes at bedtime, I either put them between the tent floor and sleeping pad, between the pad and sleeping bag, or in my sleeping bag. Or I hang items inside the tent or underneath the fly. Drying usually finishes the next day.

I have a set of camp clothes that keeps my sleeping bag from getting too funky, but I don't do any laundry or wash-off. Maybe a bandana of water across my face each evening.
    The older I get, the faster I hiked.

I don't wash on trail unless it's really bad. I have 1 pr of clothes for sleeping including clean socks, 1 pr for hiking and 1 extra pr of socks plus my warm layers. I also wash face to toes every night before changing into my "camp clothes" usually while my dinner is soaking.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Garlic
    Images

I wait for a portion of the day that's warmer and/or dryer. I wash things out and put them on wet and wear them dry. Usually it's just a shirt or pair of socks. I don't use soap on clothes on the trail, just a little bar soap on myself.

Though not a daily habit, I wash clothing on long treks when conditions are favorable for washing. Though the washing I do is nothing like what I can get from a washing machine, it does tend to keep clothing relatively clean, lowers odor potential, and generally feels better next to my skin. Of course I will use town laundry services whenever they are available, however I find doing a quick wash along the trail can do a lot to lift spirits after a few dreary rain days where mud has managed to get into everything.

Dark colored clothing may dry slightly faster in the sun. I use Kelty triptease for clothesline and small binder clips for clothespins.

If your clothes are already soaked by rain, washing them won't make them any wetter, so maybe that is a good time for it. The best time to wash clothes might be just before going into town. That is my plan to pinch pennies for an AT thruhike that some will consider underfunded.

Standing around waiting for your clothes to dry works if your pack is off and you are not hypothermic.
    Hot water, hot ramen, burning alcohol, all in my lap

Most thru hikers wash everything in town. And most only bring one set of walking clothes and one of sleeping. That’s why most hostels have loaner clothes. And yes, almost every thru hiker does laundry once or twice in their rain gear.

Sounds groody, but you get used to it pretty quick.

++ New Posts ++