WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs up The ol' GI Issue Alice Pack/Rucksack

12 years ago in 2010 before attending a military training school, the government issued me one of the most reliable and steadfast pieces of equipment I've ever used. The GI-Issue Alice Pack. From completing the infamous STAR land navigation trek, to operating in the mountains of Afghanistan, to section-hiking the AT...this thing is literally bulletproof.
    Prehistoric as they are, anyone else out there still using the Alice on the trail?

AliceRuck.jpeg

Yeesh. I've used one when I was in, but was very glad to get away from it at first opportunity. Definitely one of the least comfortable packs I've been around.

Ha! No.
    I have my old ALICE pack (Large) with frame in my basement, and never use it - it is uncomfortable and not nearly as well-designed as my other modern internal frame packs.
    I also have a Kelty external frame if I feel nostalgic. The military used ALICE packs because they were durable and could carry heavy loads... not because they were comfortable or high-tech.

I no longer (thankfully) need to carry 80#-90# of gear, radio, batteries, ammo, and MREs... with a 2-quart canteen slapping around on one side and an entrenching tool slapping around on the other.
    Now I get to choose my load-out!

Images

I used mine in the 80's during summer. It is now a trail work pack, because it is indestructible.......in '76' it was new to me!

Not knowing what I'm missing helps. Lol. That ignorance thing.
    But will be retiring the relic after we section the Smokys & climb the Black Mtn Peaks this weekend. I'll be hard to miss... fishing REAL hard for a trail name 😅

Yes! This'll be repurposed as the primary bug-out bag

Quote Originally Posted by jg_houle View Post
    Not knowing what I'm missing helps. Lol. That ignorance thing.
    But will be retiring the relic after we section the Smokys & climb the Black Mtn Peaks this weekend. I'll be hard to miss... fishing REAL hard for a trail name 
    You are hereby dubbed ‘Alice’.

nope. but our first backpacking trip...oh... 30 years ago, we carried our issued sleeping bags, at 8lbs each, in June!
    It's amazing we ever went again.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I use one as a training pack but I am odd in that the Alice pack actually fits me. The standard issue was designed for someone around 5'8" (I am a little shorter but have a longer torso). I've also modified Alice pack frames to fit taller folks. I've tried internal frame pack and simply don't like anything rubbing against my back. With the Alice, there are two contact points and plenty of airflow. I also stash an umbrella in the well created by the hip belt attachment on the frame.

Some useless trivia:
    -actually rated for 70lbs, most military personnel of its era know it could carry double that.
    -Like many things military, Alice is an acronym. All-purpose Lightweight Individual Carrying Equipment
    -an infantry soldier might tell you it's called Alice because you'll be calling it a b---- soon enough.

-

No ! Don’t carry a prc77 or 25s either ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    No ! Don’t carry a prc77 or 25s either ha ha
    oh yes! I remember those!
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I'm 6ft2in and when I replaced the frame it made all the difference. Not saying everyone should carry it, but it's worked for me in the biggest ways over 10yrs so I had to give it a shout out.

Wifey had a great idea: since the positive vibes were lacking in the comments, and the trek this weekend is the doozy of the S. East, and I'm not changing such an integral piece of my kit at the last minute....I'm gonna record content along the way and put a YouTube video together. "One More Wonderland" 🙂

If it works for you, there's no reason to change it. It's just a really tough sell for me - I had been backpacking for quite a while before my first experience with one so I knew what I was missing out on. Thankfully we had mostly transitioned to the ILBE packs after I got out of boot camp which were immensely better. Since being out, I've never looked back at those packs with longing :-)

Hyoh!! ������������������������������

Journal Entries
    Images

I still have my Viet Nam era ‘lightweight’ tubular frame rucksack. Although it’s in the footlocker in the basement and I haven’t seen it in a while. Carried it a lot with PRC-25 and 77 and poncho liners strapped underneath. Busted up the frame on one when it hit hard on a jump.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

The ALICE pack can be worn two ways---as a big heavy lump on your back w/o frame---or with the frame and hipbelt. I much preferred the pack without frame as my frame was too short and the hipbelt buckled too high on my stomach etc. I did many backpacking trips with a 60+lb ALICE as a Back Lump and w/o a hipbelt the weight would cause my hands to go numb and my neck to ache into a headache.

foototot.jpgalice.jpg
    Here's my ALICE pack in action in 1980. (Next to a North Face Back Magic external).

2269.jpg
    The best thing going for the pack was the outstanding shoulder straps---very well padded and never loosened with mvt.(Never needed the emergency quick release though).

Journal Entries

I use it for 3 day trips with no problem I use the gun belt strapped to the bottom of the pack for carrying along with the canteens. I manage to get far and even carry a hammock. I also live for3 days on raisins and peanuts along with a few other items. At the end I can stop for food. No problem for me.

Journal Entries

It's not really a lump for me I guess I know how to pack it.

I upgraded mine to the luxurious Molle straps and kidney belt. Although it is heavy, it's robust and I look the organization that the 3 pockets hold: 1 for stove kit, 1 for rain gear and 1 for hygiene kit. I also added one of the molle butt packs in which I stow my tarp.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++