WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Costa Rica Camino Trail (170 miles) Anyone Interested?

Looking to step outside my box & hike this coast to coast Costa Rica trail. If anyone has interest, please pm me. I'm thinking 2023 or 2024. Disclaimer, I am a fit 50 something hiker who has thru-hiked the PCT (sobo 2016) & LASHED the AT from GA>NJ (2007-current) along with the JMT twice (2013 & 2014) along with other long hikes. If interested, let me know and if anyone has hiked this, any and all information is appreciated.

Link to the trail:

https://activetraveladventures.com/h...ta-rica-camino

Blog from a thru-hiker

https://bookofmarvels.wordpress.com/...-font-signatu/
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Journal Entries
    Images

I have also found this Costa Rica guide service if needed:

https://www.urritrekcostarica.com/el...-de-costa-rica

Journal Entries

While living in Costa Rica's capital, San Jose, for two years during the mid-1970s I was able to take many day hikes in the mountains immediately south of the City and also independently do some longer treks, planning those walks using USGS style topo maps. For example, I summited Chirripo, and also section hiked all the way from suburban San Jose to Quepos on the Pacific Coast. A trail that I took on that later journey is now part of the Camino de Costa Rica. Later I did a little independent trekking in Guatemala (also md-1970s) and made many similar journeys in Mexico (1980s to 2000s). Currently family responsibilities (caring for my ill wife) prevent me from doing any international travel. Otherwise I would probably be planning to return to Costa Rica to do some hiking there, including parts of the new coast-to-coast Camino.

It's beautiful country and people living out in the mountains there are very friendly and hospitable. Some comments:

* Obviously, the boat trip portion of the Camino, from the Atlantic Coast, requires hiring a guide, as does passage thru the rain forest/Native American Reservation located a bit further inland. But, for people who possess some fluency in Spanish it may be possible to complete all or most of the rest of the Camino independently. However you plan to do it, be sure first read Evan Brasier's Camino de Costa Rica guide book. Amazon has it.

*The less wet season, from December thru April, is the best time for hiking in Costa Rica.

* Places in Costa Rica with elevations below about 3,000 feet/ 1,000 meters are usually brutally hot and humid. So, if I were hiking on the Camino I would probably skip the very first part on the Atlantic side, instead beginning my westward trek at Cimarones. The last section, coming into Quepos, is also extremely hot, but at least the Pacific coastal plain is much narrower than the one on Costa Rica's Atlantic side. The mountains generally are closer to the sea on the Pacific side of Central America.
    Last edited by Siestita; 08-30-2022 at 18:52.

Journal Entries

Worn Out Boots---Where do you live in Kentucky? Perhaps we could meet sometime.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks doe the info!!
    I live in NKY

++ New Posts ++