WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default What cheap tent options are available?

I would like to know what is the current low end offerings suitable for a thru hike or other such long hikes that help keep the total weight down. Requirements are fully enclosed (bug netted) and that is a tent (not tarp/bivy/hammock). Free standing is a plus. Thanks

This sounds like the classic conundrum: cheap, durable, light - pick two (at most).
    The only way around it that I know of is to buy used. Find someone who has something durable and light, but doesn't like it for some idiosyncratic reason, and is willing to take price hit on it to get rid of it.

That said - IDK what you consider cheap but if I were looking I'd consider something from Six Moon Designs like the Skyscape Scout or Trekker (the former is cheaper but the latter is lighter, as I recall). Both are fully enclosed with a lot of mesh (vents well, potentially). I think the Lunar Solo even more popular, but I don't know that I'd find it adequate for ventilation. I really like having mesh on opposite sides for cross breezes in warmer weather.

For freestanding, take a look at REI's Quarter Dome SL1 or SL2 - they're on sale right now. Well, actually, they claim to be "semi-freestanding" - it's not clear from their pictures why, but usually that means you need to use one or two stakes to maximize room or keep the tent material off your feet or something. [just watched a setup video for SL2 - yep, that's the reason.]

I have both a Nemo Hornet and Tarptent Notch and I would be happy taking either on a thru hike. Not sure what you consider low cost. I do agree with Time zone that finding something lightly used could be a smart way to go and I often see tents offered for sale here on whiteblaze.
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Not freestanding, but the Lanshan tents from 3f UL Gear are considered some of the better inexpensive tents going right now. Not freestanding, but $130 for a 32oz one-person tent is pretty good. The Lanshan 1 Pro, at $170, is even lighter, though single wall.
    There are a bunch of Youtube videos reviewing them.
    2005 SOBO Attempt (500 miles)
    2024 (?) SOBO Planning

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you're an REI member, it's time for their Labor Day sale where you can get 20% off a single full price item

If you are young I would recommend Big Agnes Flycreek 1. If older take the 2 oz penalty and go with the Big Tiger Wall 1 that has a side door. If not REI member, become one now to get the discount.

I have the Quarter dome it's a rock solid tent, yes a couple stakes required. I don't know if I could spend a couple months in it but that's me. I also have the Half Dome 2+ all kinds of room there for me and all my crap.

Garlic
    Images

Tarptent Protrail
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Probably not what you're looking for, however I've always been a fan of Eureka! for cheap durable tents and have done hundreds of nights over the years splitting their 2 person tents with a partner. Their new backpacking tent the Suma 2 is under 4lbs, or <2lbs per person when shared. It can readily be found for under $120 online and I just found that they have an option to warrantied buy factory seconds for about $85 each.

https://eurekacamping.johnsonoutdoor...-2-tent-second
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries

Thank you all so far from the suggestions and please keep them coming if you have one.

Journal Entries
    Images

REI has decent products & I agree, check them put this weekend for sales
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Durston X-Mid 1 person tent. Great tent. A lot of users who swear by it including myself.

https://durstongear.com/product/x-mid-1p
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

I think it’s worth noting that it’s not a lighter tent that will get you where you want to go. Add in a solid dose of mental toughness as well. I’ve seen old guys with big heavy packs and gear and they crush it.

Default What cheap tent options are available?

Problem with Durston is every time they go on sale, they sell out to people who then double the price selling them on eBay. I just ordered a Lightheart Gear Solong 6. Not the cheapest, not the lightest but it checks a lot of boxes as far as size, weight, proven durability and it's made in North Carolina.

++ New Posts ++