WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Campgrounds near Delaware Water Gap

I have a few days around the coming equinox that I want to spend camping near the Delaware Water Gap. I'm not the only one with this idea - the Mohican Outdoor Center is already full for Saturday the 24th. I'll have a car and a tent. There are a confusingly large number of choices. The Water Gap National Recreation Area has a bunch of campsites. New Jersey has Worthington State Forest and, a bit north, Stokes State Forest. There are others. Anyone willing to offer their personal experiences or preferences? In return, site #36 in Fahnestock State Park is the best. Privacy, quiet, and yet easy access to the bath house. No campfire program, though.
    Thanks
    Rusty
    Rusty Joints
    Half Vast Expeditions
    Chapel Hill
    Hanover NH -> Dennytown Rd
    Springer -> Susquehanna River

there's a dozen or more within 10 miles of DWG

Hi Rusty, just confirming you are looking for car camping sites where you set up your tent next to your car right? I usually like NJ state park campgrounds for that type of camping. I also value a little privacy and so to find the best site for me within a campground I'll look at the campground map and google satellite or just call and ask the park ranger. I haven't stayed at this particular campground yet and its a little further north along the AT but you may want to check out the Sawmill Lake campground near High Point State Park HQ. Sorry I don't have more information on a specific campground/sites for you! Report back how it goes for you.

https://nj.gov/dep/parksandforests/p...statepark.html then click on camping.
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

In case anyone is wondering how this came out, I ended up at Stokes State Forest in NJ. The AT runs along its eastern edge. The weather forecast turned bad and cabins, with 4 bunks, electricity, refrigerator, stove, and indoor sinks and toilet, were available for about $40/night. Civilian Conservation Corps, so Depression era construction. I splurged. When you are expecting to be in a tent, 4 nights in such a cabin was luxury. The rains came, but they were much less than forecast. I hiked the AT and one of Stokes' own trails. I enjoy just being in the woods, but being in the woods with a premium set-up like the cabins was salsa on the burrito.
    If you happen to be in north Jersey off season, this is a great deal for a quick family outing, or a couple, or solo. I think you can bring your dog. In the summer, they rent by the week only. Discount for NJ state residents.

Rusty Joints
    Half Vast Expeditions
    Chapel Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Joints View Post
    In case anyone is wondering how this came out, I ended up at Stokes State Forest in NJ. The AT runs along its eastern edge. The weather forecast turned bad and cabins, with 4 bunks, electricity, refrigerator, stove, and indoor sinks and toilet, were available for about $40/night. Civilian Conservation Corps, so Depression era construction. I splurged. When you are expecting to be in a tent, 4 nights in such a cabin was luxury. The rains came, but they were much less than forecast. I hiked the AT and one of Stokes' own trails. I enjoy just being in the woods, but being in the woods with a premium set-up like the cabins was salsa on the burrito.
    If you happen to be in north Jersey off season, this is a great deal for a quick family outing, or a couple, or solo. I think you can bring your dog. In the summer, they rent by the week only. Discount for NJ state residents.

Rusty Joints
    Half Vast Expeditions
    Chapel Hill
    $40 a night for a cabin sounds like a deal.

++ New Posts ++