WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sheltowee Trace Now on Guthooks/ Farout!

Guide does not yet have alot of detailed information or pictures but it is up and running!
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Gambit, thank you for your involvement in this project.

I used Cal Topo data a few years ago when hiking the Trace. Far Out would have been more up to date and an overall better trail experience.

Cool, this guide will probably end up being my first time using Farout.

Journal Entries

Good to know. Thank you!

It needs some work still and I’m wondering if every Guthook started off in a bit of rough shape. I think it could use the help or input if someone familiar with using Guthooks. More clarification of the State Parks, something about Charit Creek Lodge (which is great to thru hikers) and there is no mention of Whitley City, an essential resupply. There’s also a lot of spelling/grammatical stuff, and instructions like “turn right”. Nobo? Sobo?

But the thing that is really getting me is the lack of warning in the Heidelberg section for houses that have REALLY dangerous dogs. Florida Trail does it, they can do it, too. They know of a dog that is a constant problem that tried to attack me and other hikers. It’s irresponsible not to mention it.

I’m not sure if I reach out and sound like a nosy proofreader, or let them figure it all out with time.

Quote Originally Posted by Prov View Post
    It needs some work still and I’m wondering if every Guthook started off in a bit of rough shape. I think it could use the help or input if someone familiar with using Guthooks. More clarification of the State Parks, something about Charit Creek Lodge (which is great to thru hikers) and there is no mention of Whitley City, an essential resupply. There’s also a lot of spelling/grammatical stuff, and instructions like “turn right”. Nobo? Sobo?

But the thing that is really getting me is the lack of warning in the Heidelberg section for houses that have REALLY dangerous dogs. Florida Trail does it, they can do it, too. They know of a dog that is a constant problem that tried to attack me and other hikers. It’s irresponsible not to mention it.

I’m not sure if I reach out and sound like a nosy proofreader, or let them figure it all out with time.
    I’ve never used the app, but if you’ve paid for it my understanding is you could go ahead and add all of these notes yourself; that’s the whole point of the app. Sounds like great useful pieces of info you should go ahead and add.

Quote Originally Posted by Slugg View Post
    I’ve never used the app, but if you’ve paid for it my understanding is you could go ahead and add all of these notes yourself; that’s the whole point of the app. Sounds like great useful pieces of info you should go ahead and add.
    I added notes. I’m worried about the general info, though, that most people look at, including symbols that appear on the map (like the red warning one). The comments that may be buried and the symbols that just indicate a road crossing are easily ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Prov View Post
    I added notes. I’m worried about the general info, though, that most people look at, including symbols that appear on the map (like the red warning one). The comments that may be buried and the symbols that just indicate a road crossing are easily ignored.
    Thanks for clarifying

Prov - Contact them and ask if they want your suggestions. There are usually very responsive and friendly. It is only going to make the app better so I don’t know why they wouldn’t want them.

++ New Posts ++