WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default bear boxes on trail?

One of the things I find myself doing is clearing up misinformation on Facebook posts regarding hiking. People should be using WB more, but it is what it is. Anyway, I'm not aware of bear boxes on the trail at shelters in my hiking territory - Ga thru western NC, only occasionally at road crossings, which are more bear proof trash cans. Yet someone is asking about them, and getting replies that they are available at the shelters in Ga. Its been 2-3 years since I stayed at or at least stopped at a shelter in Ga, and since that's where a section has a canister restriction, I figure its possible they have installed them? Sort of doubtful about that, but wanted to hear from this community before I cleared that up on Facebook that there are none.

I've never seen any in Ga and I was at Muskrat, Carter and Long Branch shelters this past year and did not see any there. Are there any other sections that have them?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

https://www.georgia-atclub.org/hike-...sked-questions

Most shelters in Georgia have cable systems to assist in hanging food out of the reach of animals, the cable systems will be phased out in favor of bear proof steel boxes. The Hawk Mountain tenting area has bear proof steel boxes as does the Hawk Mountain Shelter. In other camping locations hang your food bag so that it is at least 10 feet off the ground and 6 feet away from the tree trunk. Also note the bear canister requirement discussed elsewhere and at the Chattahoochee National Forest news and information website.

This site:
    https://thedyrt.com/camping/georgia/...untain-shelter

Says the Springer Mountain Shelter has bear boxes nearby.

There may be more.

Images

Thanks for that. I'm unable to find where boxes have been installed, maybe I'll just have to get out in Ga more and find out.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

The AT shelters in the whites have bear boxes along with a few popular campsites. One of them is Thirteen Falls out in the Pemi Wilderness whihc has long ongoing problem with bears. There has been a bear box for several years. This year the bears won one against the bear box. It had been sitting there for so long that the bottom was rusted out. The bears rolled it over and ripped the rusted bottom out and got their reward.

The Wiley shelter in NY has a bear box, at least it did the last time i was there a couple years ago.

++ New Posts ++