WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Original Thermarest Inflation Valve

I dug out an old Thermarest non SI foam/inflatable pad that has been rolled up for around 30 years! I last used it on a camping trip with my Dad when I was in middle school. So anyway, the thing inflates and holds air (don't make 'em like they used to lol!).

One thing I noticed is that it doesn't appear to have a way to prevent air from escaping in between breaths. I honestly don't remember if this is how they were back then or if I need to replace the valve? The valve is a screw top if that helps. Can anybody chime in?
    It is what it is.

The old valves were metal and of course when blown up they leak air until closed. You can blow into the valve and press it up to your lip to hold air as you take another breath. On your last breath you can turn the valve to close.

Ok, so sounds like that's how they were designed. Good to know, and thank you!
    It is what it is.

The 'air pump bag' they come with now was such a simple but genius idea... whoever came up with it. I need maybe 3 breaths at the end, after the bag, to get it nice and firm. I actually realized at least 50 nights in how the valve works and stops most air between breaths.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Like Walter describes, the old valves are a bit tricky.

What I found to be the best way to handle it:
    - First, unscrew the top part of the valve completely until its loose from the internal thread and you can move it a tiny bit in axial direction
    - Then, seal the lips around the top of the vlave and while blowing air into the valve, pull a little bit on the lower (main) part of the thing - this will kind of seal the loose gap between the top and the main parts of the valve
    - Between each breath, I'm using the tip of my tongue to seal the holes in the top of the valve
    - After the final blowing, I just slide the top part the small amount of axial loose play down while still sealing the holes with my tongue
    - Then start screwing down the top part to close the valve, still holding the tongue tight on the top holes
    Thats the way to lose the least amount of air I found out so far.

++ New Posts ++