WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Is it any good?

Default Is it any good?

My son and I are just getting into hiking and we are planning a few longer trips in the future, but first we have t gear up. I have been looking at stoves and cook ware and ran across this. https://www.ebay.com/itm/143228770488 I know ebay items are pretty hit and miss but for the price I was thinking of trying it out. Thoughts?

It says it is brand new, in original packaging, but doesn’t list the brand, so there is no way to tell if it’s any good.

Looks like chinese lookalike gear hiding behind a US address. The folding utensils are heavy, most folks live with lexan spoons for backpacking. The pots are probably okay, many folks just bite the bullet and buy a titanium pot for more thn the price of the whole kit. The stove is a pocket rocket lookalike, it should work with standard cannisters. Do note they are quite tippy with a pot full of water on top. They are also open the wind and will burn up a lot of fuel in breezy conditions. It best used in sheltered spot out of the wind. Butane or Isopropane both do not work well below 40 deg F.

The nice thing with it is if you decide not to continue camping, you can throw it away. Make sure the pot sizes are big enough, these are usually solo or couple stoves at best.

I agree with peakbagger here. I would be especially weary of the stove because you are literally playing with fire there. I would personally pay a little extra for a stove that you know is going to be safe. The BRS300T is super cheap on amazon and it is loved by plenty of backpackers. Even if you were to buy this kit, I would replace the stove right away.

Images

The stove is a solid performer. The set looks worthwhile. Free shipping.......BRS300T is garbage so says backpacking light.com

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    The stove is a solid performer. The set looks worthwhile. Free shipping.......BRS300T is garbage so says backpacking light.com

How do you know the stove is a BRS3000T?
    Also why do you say it is a solid performer, then state that backpacking light says it’s garbage
    Last edited by gpburdelljr; 04-05-2024 at 00:37.

I have that set up. Never had any trouble with any of it, but it is a little heavy.

It's more than you need, you only need one 1 liter cook pot (with a good lid) for two people, two lexan spoons (don't need forks or plastic knives; use your Swiss Army knife or equivalent) and two simple bowls (we use collapsible bowls and cups). The missing lid is a problem IMO. After you get a pot, sew a pot cozy for it and save a ton of fuel.

Images

How do you know the stove is a BRS3000T?
    Also why do you say it is a solid performer, then state that backpacking light says it’s garbage
    Backpacking light says the BRST is garbage, 4 out of 7 melted is what they said.

The stove sold with this kit https://www.ebay.com/itm/143228770488 I have tested to the max and found it to be a solid performer.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Backpacking light says the BRST is garbage, 4 out of 7 melted is what they said.

The stove sold with this kit https://www.ebay.com/itm/143228770488 I have tested to the max and found it to be a solid performer.

Hope that helps.
    On rereading your previous post I see that you were commenting on two different stoves, the one in the eBay link, and the BRS3000T that someone else had mentioned.
    Do you know the stove brand/model used in the eBay kit?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    On rereading your previous post I see that you were commenting on two different stoves, the one in the eBay link, and the BRS3000T that someone else had mentioned.
    Do you know the stove brand/model used in the eBay kit?
    The stove in the ebay kit goes by the name Lixada. It also goes by other names. The ones I purchased and tested were Lixada.

Many times the stove will not have a name.

Last edited by zelph; 04-06-2024 at 14:46.

The stove in the ebay kit goes by the name Lixada. It also goes by other names. The ones I purchased and tested were Lixada.

Many times the stove will not have a name.”

I don’t think I’d buy a no name stove. I want a named brand that has been reviewed.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post

I don’t think I’d buy a no name stove. I want a named brand that has been reviewed.
    I recommend you DO NOT buy a no name stove.

I suggest you buy the BRS3000T. It's been reviewed and recommended by Ltdan

Good Luck

“Backpacking light says the BRST is garbage, 4 out of 7 melted is what they said.”

I suggest you buy the BRS3000T. It's been reviewed and recommended by Ltdan”

So, depending on the reviewer it’s a piece of crap, or a good stove.

It could be both, chi com gear is usually sold by a distributor in China that outsources actual production to subs. The subs usually make sure the first models are built well with some quality control at a loss in hopes that they may make their money back with new orders. The distributor is selling to a price point so the subs never see a price increase so they either take the contract and figure out a way to cheapen it up or find another sub to build it for less.

If buying chicom stuff I usually buy it from Amazon and test it, their return policy is hard to beat and easy if its quality issue. I have a chinese titanium pot getting delivered next week through Amazon. I could have bought the same pot on Ebay but a lot more hassle if I need to return.

++ New Posts ++