WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Cool Bly Gap to Muskrat Shelter?

Hey y'all. :-) At the end of this month (the 30th), I'm going to finish my GA section hike and go from Dick's Creek to Bly Gap, finally. My original plan was to make this an out-and-back hike... but honestly... i really hate out-and-back hikes. I'm way too ADHD for that. I've got a shuttle driver who can pick me up at Deep Gap. HOWEVER... I'm nervous about that initial hike out of Bly Gap (Sharp Top Mtn, i think?). How bad is, it, REALLY? The elevation profile on Far Out is scary, LOL. 🤣 I mean, are we talking steep enough so it's hand-over-hand pulling myself uphill, or is it just a worse version of Kelly Knob ~ a lot of uphill in a short distance? What am I really in for?

It's been years since I've done that section, but there isn't any "hand-over-hand" stuff. There's nowhere from Georgia through Virginia that is. From my years section hiking the southern AT, I think the steepest sustained stretch is Jacob's Ladder aka Sweetwater Cliffs further into North Carolina, followed perhaps by Albert Mountain, which is only about a third of a mile and therefore more fun than fearsome.

Dicks Creek Gap going north has good climbs but nothing outrageous. There's Courthouse Bald and As Knob, as I recall, that are steep but just normal steep. I don't have Far Out, but I've heard AT vloggers point out that it sometimes exaggerates the vertical.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roper View Post
    It's been years since I've done that section, but there isn't any "hand-over-hand" stuff. There's nowhere from Georgia through Virginia that is. From my years section hiking the southern AT, I think the steepest sustained stretch is Jacob's Ladder aka Sweetwater Cliffs further into North Carolina, followed perhaps by Albert Mountain, which is only about a third of a mile and therefore more fun than fearsome.

Dicks Creek Gap going north has good climbs but nothing outrageous. There's Courthouse Bald and As Knob, as I recall, that are steep but just normal steep. I don't have Far Out, but I've heard AT vloggers point out that it sometimes exaggerates the vertical.
    Thank you! That's helpful. :-) If I've done everything from Springer to Dick's Creek, it sounds like i should be able to handle this.

The climb out of Bly Gap will definitely get your attention. I hiked all of GA to Deep Gap NOBO in one continuous trip and I would say the Bly gap climb was steeper than any other I experienced--large/tall steps over waterbars make it a little more difficult. Toward the top it is switchbacked which helps.
    As far as Jacob's Ladder, I don't remember any waterbars[or very few if there is] which makes it easier to pace yourself with smaller steps. It also isn't as much of an elevation gain [if I remember correctly].

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    The climb out of Bly Gap will definitely get your attention. I hiked all of GA to Deep Gap NOBO in one continuous trip and I would say the Bly gap climb was steeper than any other I experienced--large/tall steps over waterbars make it a little more difficult. Toward the top it is switchbacked which helps.
    How large/tall are they, approximately?

Quote Originally Posted by MamaKatBrigid View Post
    Thank you! That's helpful. :-) If I've done everything from Springer to Dick's Creek, it sounds like i should be able to handle this.
    Yes, MamaKatBrigid, you'll be good. You've handled Spring to Dick's Creek Gap. The terrain to the north really isn't different in any meaningful way.

Images

Full pack? Assume so since pretty much anything is doable with a day pack. A worse version of Kelly Knob is about right for that first climb out of Bly, though its longer and the footing is worse. The waterbar steps aren't any different than those you might've experienced going up Big Cedar or Blood, most are shallow with just a few higher ones for good measure. I would much rather continue to Deep Gap than go back over Buzzard Knob after Plumorchard - not the same, just saying its not like doubling back is so easy. And you'll have a better starting point for your next section. In fact, I see you doing the Standing Indian Loop in your near future!
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

No worries the climb out of bly is "long" but nice trail the whole way enjoy! I did Deep Gap to Plumorchard shelter and then to dicks the next day
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

How large/tall are they, approximately?
    Some are 18"-24" You can always use a little bit of ingenuity and make half-steps out of them by using the sides of the trail--although some here would advise against it because of adding further erosion to the trail.

I walked from Around the Bend Hostel a 1/2 mile to Dick's Creek Gap and on to Muskrat Shelter in one day last year. It was definitely a long day, especially the section after Bly Gap, but very doable. No hand over hand stuff, just steady up for longer than you may like.

The climb out of Bly gap is a "stairway to heaven". It's not hard, just a long and steady up. Mt Albert a few miles north is more of a little scramble near the top.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The climb out of Bly gap is a "stairway to heaven". It's not hard, just a long and steady up. Mt Albert a few miles north is more of a little scramble near the top.
    Mt Albert is the first place I didn't use my poles, throwing them ahead. Did that a lot more in NH and ME, sometimes just putting them away.

...and it looks like Hurricane Ian may force me to postpone my hike scheduled for this weekend. Saturday around the NC/GA border/Bly Gap/Muskrat area is looking bad with high wind gusts, per the AT Weather site I've been stalking obsessively. Fingers crossed this thing dissipates quickly (especially for the people who are in its direct path and in harm's way).

...and it looks like Hurricane Ian may force me to postpone my hike scheduled for this weekend. Saturday around the NC/GA border/Bly Gap/Muskrat area is looking bad with high wind gusts, per the AT Weather site I've been stalking obsessively. Fingers crossed this thing dissipates quickly (especially for the people who are in its direct path and in harm's way).
    Hiked thru remnants of Ida last summer in PA. Once they are that much over land, usually you can just crush thru them. Did end that day with wet socks, but the gnats went away for a day.

Alrighty, then. Hurricane is over, and I'm heading back out there later this week. Dick's Creek to Deep Gap NC... to finish out my Epic Quest To Hike All of GA that started Labor Day Weekend 2021.
    “By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my own actions a great sinner, and by calling a wanderer.”
    -Quote adapted from "The Way of A Pilgrim"

Please post and let us know how the hike went - I also need to knock out GA soon.
    Happy Hiking!!
    Doug

:banana

woohoo! I made it!!! I went out Thursday through Sunday last week... planning no more than five miles a day (no reason, other than I wanted to intentionally take it slow, take lots of pics, and not stress about deadlines). Started at Dick's Creek GA, and got picked up by my shuttle driver at Deep Gap NC. It was phenomenal! Yes, the hike out of Bly was difficult, but not impossible, and the view at the top is literally breathtaking. It only got into upper thirties one night (the first night); other than that it was mid-to-upper 40s. Met some fabulous people, didn't see any bears (though apparently, I JUST missed one once, judging by the "deposit" it left on the trail), enjoyed the lack of bugs and extra bonus views due to fewer leaves on trees. :-)

So.. georgia's done... next year... NC!
    2. View From Sharp Top.jpg7. AT up & down mountain to Deep Gap.jpg1. At the Border.jpg
    “By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my own actions a great sinner, and by calling a wanderer.”
    -Quote adapted from "The Way of A Pilgrim"

++ New Posts ++