The below is from a hiker who goes by Out & About, I’ve seen some of their posts in social media and wanted to share. I figured some folks here would appreciate it. You can find them on Instagram at outandabout53.

There’s a brand new long-trail in town!

The Carolinian is a 2,200 mile long network of trails encircling the states of North & South Carolina (it does, however dip into TN & GA as well), that includes 3 complete long-trails, a section of the Appalachian Trail, and a family-size road-walk.

Below is the route that I took while creating this trail.

The Palmetto Trail is a 500-mile trail from the mountains of SC down through forests, along lakes, into swamp, and onto the open grassy wetlands of the state’s eastern seaboard.

The Carolina Road-Walk is a 375-mile road-walk up from the eastern terminus of The Palmetto Trail to Jockey’s Ridge, NC (the eastern terminus of The Mountains-To-Sea Trail).

Next is the 1,175-mile Mountains-To-Sea Trail. Beginning in the Outer Banks, you walk along beaches through towns and dunes. After a couple of relaxing ferry rides, you get to walk through grassy wetlands and pine forest. In the center of the state, lakes and rivers are abundant. Then the script flips as you ascend the trail into the Appalachian Mountains, some of, if not THE oldest mountains on Earth. Covered in moss & ferns, over root & rock, through creek & stream, over peaks & into valleys; beautiful all around.

Onward to a 55-mile section of the Appalachian Trail. From Clingman’s Dome (the highest point on the AT, you pass a slew of other hikers and can treat yourself to great shelters.

To finish off, you hike the Bartram National Recreation Trail. The BT is a 116-mile trek down out of the Blue Ridge Mountains, dipping into GA and back into SC. Rugged terrain with some stunning 360* views and some pretty cool climbs.

All-in-all, yeah, there are some road-walks to do, but there’s always kind people and great food. This new trail goes through so many different ecosystems that it’s near-impossible for boredom to catch up with you. Trail volunteers do a terrific job maintaining all of these trails and allowing one to really be able to experience this unique area of the American Southeast.
I think it’s a cool concept, always enjoy seeing new unique routes.