WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hurrican Ian - Northern GA Section Hike

Good morning,

I have a section hike planned next week (10/3-10/7) throught the northern section of Georgia on the AT. How has Hurricane Ian impacted this section of the trail? Are there mud-slides or flooding that we should know about?
    Trying to make a game plan and decide if we are still 'good to go'.

Thanks in advance -
    -If it betters our world, I'm here for it. ♥

The projected path of Ian has shifted east.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at...start#contents

Unless the path shifts again there may be a little rain, but I wouldn’t expect much.

Journal Entries
    Images

A little rain would normally be good down there for this time of year, may assist in replenishing the springs...
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Ha Ha very funny.... "A little Rain..." from the biggest friggin hurricane of our lifetime..

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Ha Ha very funny.... "A little Rain..." from the biggest friggin hurricane of our lifetime..
    Florida got a lot of rain, but the Appalachian trail in Georgia that the OP asked about will probably only get a little rain.
    You must be pretty young if you think Ian is the biggest hurricane of our lifetime. In 1969 Camille had 200 mph winds. Hurricane Andrew in 1992, and Hurricane Michael in 2018 were also category 5 hurricanes. Ian was a category 4 hurricane.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/wea...266509996.html
    Last edited by gpburdelljr; 09-29-2022 at 15:59.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Perhaps a bit more media hype than reality there.

It's the 4th or 5th largest most powerful storm in history to hit the USA. It's was only 5mph away from a cat 5 hurricane. But as it comes in to land again it will be a tropical depression.
    To answer the question I think you're just going to have to wait until it passes through then check on conditions

Projected rainfall from Ian as of 5:41 September 29th shows no rain on the AT in Georgia.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/gra...inqpf#contents

Default Hurrican Ian - Northern GA Section Hike

We may get a few blow downs, wind is supposed to bust to 40 on the ridge today and tonight around Suches.

I inadvertently did a Hurricane section hike in Georgia/ southern NC in 2004. I think it was Ivan. It was supposed to head off into the Atlantic but at the last minute headed into Franklin NC and just doused them. We were driving down from New England expecting a few clouds and by the next morning the interstate north of the Smokies was closed due to slides and the Nantahala NF was "closed" in the Standing Indian area. All the roads going into the Standing Indian area were posted with USFS signs " FOREST CLOSED ANY ONE WHO ENTERS WILL BE ARRESTED" We head south to GA and did the AT , there were no restrictions and the trail was in remarkably good shape are well as the FS road. The next week we went to do the NC section and they would only let us day hike in the Standing Indian area which worked for us. Wayah Bald road had just been reopened and some of the side roads were in rough shape including the road from Franklin to Wayah Bald where a summer place had slid down a hill across the road and down into farmers field but the AT was in remarkable good shape a week later, the local volunteers were apologizing but to me it was normal spring on the AT in NH

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I am near Linville Gorge/Mt Mitchell in NC. It was first projected the eye would go right over me. Now its moved east to Greensboro.

The tail ends of Ian are stretching only as far as Asheville/Sams Gap.

I know Pisgah Forest and BR Parkway put an advisory out that they were closing facilities for the storm. Not sure if Nantalhala Forest will be doing the same.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by JessicaF7 View Post
    Good morning,

I have a section hike planned next week (10/3-10/7) throught the northern section of Georgia on the AT. How has Hurricane Ian impacted this section of the trail? Are there mud-slides or flooding that we should know about?
    Trying to make a game plan and decide if we are still 'good to go'.

Thanks in advance -
    Ian has passed, and it doesn’t appear that Georgia section of the AT got much rain.

++ New Posts ++