WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default End to End Attempt 2023

Hi all, I am going to attempt an end to end hike of the Long Trail in September 2023. Is anyone interested in going, or doing sections with me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On. - Jimmy Buffett

A ship at harbor is safe, yet that is not what ships are for. - J.A. Shedd

Quote Originally Posted by Porkroll View Post
    Hi all, I am going to attempt an end to end hike of the Long Trail in September 2023. Is anyone interested in going, or doing sections with me?

I would love to so let's see what the year will be like and then talk about it.
    EZ-DOES-IT

Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

September is a very popular time to be on the LT so don't worry if you don't find partners before you start. You will have plenty of company on trail and will find yourself camping with folks who hike at a similar pace night after night. Pack for all four seasons because those VT mountains are fickle in terms of weather. I went SOBO in June seeing temps from 30s to near 90.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Journal Entries
    Images

Mischief is out there right now if you want to get an idea of what it's like in September. www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_FAwU_Kbws
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    Mischief is out there right now if you want to get an idea of what it's like in September. www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_FAwU_Kbws
    I believe he's finished (YEAH!!!) his End-to-End. On his Instagram, he's doing a trail in New Jersey now. Seems like he's finally got prosthetics that can keep up with him.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

I am planning to hike it with my wife and kids starting 9/1/23. Intend to go NoBo

Images

I just finished the southern AT/LT portion last week. Indeed, there were quite a few people finishing up SOBO end-to-end LT hikes at the end of September. Southern Vermont was beautiful, and I was told by several LT hikers that the northern part of the trail is even better.
    It's all good in the woods.

Images

Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate all of the info. I can’t wait to try this hike.

Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On. - Jimmy Buffett

A ship at harbor is safe, yet that is not what ships are for. - J.A. Shedd

Images

We did an e2e hike in 2014, when we were in our early 50s. The LT is a tough hike but Vermont is beautiful. Have fun.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Calories and protein are currently marring my anxiety dreams…. My boys eat like piranhas!

Quote Originally Posted by Porkroll View Post
    Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate all of the info. I can’t wait to try this hike.

Porkroll keep me in mind and keep me updated.
    Thanks Ez-Does-It
    EZ-DOES-IT

Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

Crank did you guys hitch from Hyde Away to resupply in Waitsfield?

My wife and three sons and I just hiked from North Adams to Duxbury Road (181.8 miles)

Lessons learned: the Long Trail is tough! Mother Nature is as Mother Nature does. If it’s too wet then don’t hike. Take your time, no time for reckless rage hiking.

Why did we stop hiking? We had to slow our mileage to account for the delicate and time consuming foot and hand placement we were doing and realized it wasn’t going to add up, and the forecast of our last section was six days of rain. Our sleeping bags got wet and would have had a hard time drying them out. Not to mention all five of us took repeated spills down camels hump towards Bamforth ridge tent platforms.

It was an awesome experience, and my family may well never come with me again. But that’s ok.

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    My wife and three sons and I just hiked from North Adams to Duxbury Road (181.8 miles)

Lessons learned: the Long Trail is tough! Mother Nature is as Mother Nature does. If it’s too wet then don’t hike. Take your time, no time for reckless rage hiking.

Why did we stop hiking? We had to slow our mileage to account for the delicate and time consuming foot and hand placement we were doing and realized it wasn’t going to add up, and the forecast of our last section was six days of rain. Our sleeping bags got wet and would have had a hard time drying them out. Not to mention all five of us took repeated spills down camels hump towards Bamforth ridge tent platforms.

It was an awesome experience, and my family may well never come with me again. But that’s ok.
    That is quite the family trip. The endless rain has made it really hard on folks this year. If you get wet you can't get dry unless you get a room somewhere with access to a dryer. Probably good you stopped. It seemed really slippy from Rt 2 to Mansfield in the rain earlier this year.

How was the trail in terms of flood damage? Thinking about heading back there to do the southern parts I didn't in June so it counts as another thru
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStranger View Post
    September is a very popular time to be on the LT so don't worry if you don't find partners before you start. You will have plenty of company on trail and will find yourself camping with folks who hike at a similar pace night after night. Pack for all four seasons because those VT mountains are fickle in terms of weather. I went SOBO in June seeing temps from 30s to near 90.
    I agree with everything in this sentence.

Not interested in joining you--I did it southbound in September of 2021 and thought it was challenging. The LT is a trail I have zero interest in doing again. Glad I did it, but never again.

You will meet plenty of people, and you will likely meet them at shelters a few evenings in a row. I did, and the guy I met invited me to Colorado to hike. He and I did the Collegiate Loop the following September.

I took a 35f sleeping bag, and were I to do it again, I would highly suggest something warmer. On several occasions I woke to 20-something temps.

It is a great hike, and you are hiking at the perfect time of the year. No bugs, less people, possibly autumnal color, and perfect hiking weather. Enjoy.
    Give me a mile of trail and I can show you the forest. Give me a mile of runway and I can show you the world.
    Long Trail Completed 2021.
    Collegiate Loop 2022

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStranger View Post
    If you get wet you can't get dry unless you get a room somewhere with access to a dryer.
    Or at least an indoor space (such as the mentioned room), preferably with an AC unit (since those dry the air as well as cooling). Then, hanging the items up overnight (after having removed as much moisture as possible, such as a good wringing them out) might be enough to make them dry, or at least close to it.

AT/LT tread was ok. Some parts like washed out bridges, but no trail closures that we experienced (just re-routes)

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    AT/LT tread was ok. Some parts like washed out bridges, but no trail closures that we experienced (just re-routes)

Cool, thanks! I'll need to be moving fast so was hoping the trail was still there. Won't bother asking about water supply

YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

September will hopefully be drier than July/August. We had a great time, and it’s a beautiful trail.

++ New Posts ++