WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Resupply Liquid Fuel and MSR Simmerlight tips?

I have used alcohol stoves (thanks zelph) for a while now. I really like liquid fuel stoves. I feel like there is less waste and its very easy to tell how much fuel I have. No more 1/4 full (or is it 3/4 empty?) err partial gas canisters rolling around the gear closet. I recently went on a single overnight with a friend and our youngsters. We planned to do some backcountry cooking! We made Philly cheesesteaks! Since I knew I was cooking I lugged my MSR Dragonfly. I love that stove but its really heavy and the spacing on the pot stand won't fit my solo gear, not to mention it is kind of overkill for boiling water.

Anyhow I started doing some stove research, is there a lighter weight version of the Dragonfly??? Turns out there is! Years ago MSR made a stove called the Simmerlight, seems like it has been replaced with the Whisperlight now. It also seems like the Whisperlight has its issues, most notably its tricky to get it to simmer.

I tracked down an old used Simmerlight and I am going to give it a go for a few weekend trips.

It got me wondering, How do thru hikers resupply liquid fuel? Alcohol is probably easy, get a new bottle of HEAT (yellow only). How do people with camp fuel/white gas stove resupply? I usually only see it sold by the gallon.

sidebar, Do you have any Simmerlight related tips? I am assuming operationally its similar to my Dragonfly; squirt fuel into little base cup, light to warm stove, then adjust flame. I know there were issues with the older MSR pumps but I don't remember what it was. How do I ID my pump to make sure its safe?

You are a bit confused, the progression was the Firefly, the Whisperlite and then for a short period the Simmerlite, before dropping the Simmerlite. The Firefly is the predecessor to the XGK multifuel stove and the Whisperlite. XGK could burn anything and made more field cleanable while the whisperlite was stripped down for naptha (Coleman fuel) only. The big difference was the Simmerlite has a longer preheat tube more exposed to the burner than the Whisperlite. This makes it easier to get gaseous fuel to the burner at lower fuel flow at lower temps.

I and many others have gotten Whisperlite's to "simmer", the trick is to barely pump it up with a fuel bottle that is 1/4 to 1/3 full and make sure the primer cup is full for the initial light off and obviously use the foil heat shields in an area sheltered from wind. Now light the primer cup and let it burn out then light the stove and let it burn hot with a pot on top of it for a minute or so. The heat from the primer cup flame and the heat reflected off the bottom of the pot will heat up the preheat loop and the burner, then the flame can be turned down. The trick is to keep the fuel bottle barely pumped up, and when the flame start to sputter give it a stroke. Reflected heat off the stove and pot warms up the fuel tank a bit which causes it to pressurize. Some others use a more risky method where they pump up the stove normally and do a hot burn, then put out the flame and carefully unscrew the fuel bottle partially to vent the pressure inside and then relight the stove. Obviously risky as the fuel being vented could be easily lit by nearby open flames. Either method is best done on a picnic table at home to practice. If you really want to simmer hard to beat a butane fired Pocket Rocket (for over 40 degree temps).

BTW Simmerlite pot stands were usually deemed as inferior to the Whisperlite. The legs did not lock in place and I think the diameter was a bit smaller than the Whisperlite. If the Whisperlte was a stripped-down version of a Firefly, the Simmerlitet was a slightly stripped version of Whisperlite. The one advantage of liquid fueled stoves is cold weather performance and I think most folks would just opt for the Dragonfly or the XGK for winter as the Simmerlight just is not that well suited for winter conditions. For warm weather, I and many others went with the Pocket Rocket with possibly a homemade heat shield to boost efficiency and retired the liquid fueled stoves. If you truly want to simmer the Pocket Rocket with a heat shield out of the wind will turn down to the equivalent of Bic lighter. When liquid fueled stoves were popular on the AT many hostels and supply outlets sold coleman by the ounce and I would see the quart cans or MSR or Coleman sitting next to hiker boxes. A dragonfly can burn pump gas but it will gum the cable inside the fuel tube at the burner end and the fuel nozzle. Burning pump gas in a Whisperlite is going to gunk up the cable and in many cases, the cable may not be able to be removed for cleaning the gunk and carbon off. I would speculate that the Simmerlite may have even more or an issue.

It has been a long time since I saw one in use but this review may give you insight on the priming method https://sectionhiker.com/msr-simmerl...g-term-review/ and yes I do remember seeing the fireball once or twice. One BTW on the whisperlite is the jet soots up with carbon on shut down after the fuel is cut off. Ideally when you shut down the fuel, blow the flame out. Yes you will smell a bit of unburnt fuel but the jet will stay cleaner for longer. The other BTW is lubricate the fuel line nipple occasionally with la touch of light grease as if you do not the o ring surface will eventually tear and leak.

The early Dragonfly pump bodies (barrels) were made out of plastic with two locking tabs that were used to twist lock the top of the pump to the body, the tabs would snap off usually when being pumped. They later on sold a revised reinforced construction body. One of my tabs snapped fairly early on and MSR would not replace it on warranty but would gladly sell me a new one. I held off and found a pump at an AT shelter that looks like someone tried to burn motor oil with it. I cleaned it up and just am gentle with the new one as I do not think its the new design. I used the dragonfly for mostly car camping events and for backpacking went with the Pocket Rocket. I think this was an issue with only the first couple of year of production around when they first came out 25 years ago.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 10-09-2022 at 10:19.

Images

Thank you peakbagger, great info!

“It got me wondering, How do thru hikers resupply liquid fuel? Alcohol is probably easy, get a new bottle of HEAT (yellow only). How do people with camp fuel/white gas stove resupply? I usually only see it sold by the gallon.”

Walmart sells Crown stove fuel by the quart, and the gallon. REI also sells it by the quart.

Thanks [mention]peakbagger [/mention] very informative history lesson!

Simmering isn’t a huge deal for me. I mostly always boil water and cook in a ziplock or something.

I just completely disassembled the new to me Simmerlite today. It was sooty and I wanted to get familiar with it.

I’ll prob just stick with my alcohol stove. It’s stupid easy and lightweight.

Not sure what draws me to stoves lol. There are so many styles and types.

Images

Not sure what draws me to stoves lol. There are so many styles and types.
    In the beginning of this video it shows how many different alcohol stoves are out there :-)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dKAFAsPfC4s

Journal Entries

Some hostels did sell fuel by the oz for that type of stove, but not many that I can recall. With that said I didn't ask as I wasn't using such a stove, but recall some signs in hostels and a hiker buying it.

I own a Simmerlite, had it for quite a long time now. A hiking buddy had a Whisperlite,a Dragonfly, then a Simmerlite and kept his Simmerlite. I personally dislike the Whisperlite wire legs. They are smooth and leave a gap in the middle. A lot of people don't use a metal cup but I do and it does work well on a Simmerlite, which has ridges on top. The legs don't lock on the Simmerlite as peakbagger mentioned but it becomes habit to open them fully each time. Do be careful though moving the bottle and stove around though you can start to move the legs that way. If you must move the stove try not to move it in the direction that collapses the legs and yeah don't touch them with your hands or gloves after it's been lit as they will of course be hot! Just use a short stick. If you need to pump the fuel bottle, be aware of whether you are moving the stove itself. If your really wanted to, you could add a piece of wire to bridge two of the legs.

Unless it's really cold, you don't want fuel in the cup to any degree. Rather, watch for the head where the holes are to start to get wet. Then cut the flow and light. Then right before it sputters back out you can open the valve again and that usually is about right to fire it cleanly. Fuel in the cup will just burn black and is usually too much.

I read the review that was linked..you can simmer on it. A gas canister is a little better. Trying to keep the Simmerlite at barely on is problematic at times as it may be windy or you may need to pump the fuel bottle. I've cooked eggs on it, quesadillas, and pancakes. More of a problem is usually the pan or pot such as thin walled titanium where things can get scorched. Something like mac and cheese or a Liptons not a problem.

As noted, some hostels in the past sold white gas by the oz, and some outfitters may have too. White gas stoves aren't as popular an option anymore as they tend to be heavier in many situations and so I can't really say how often one can find it sold that way anymore. I never needed it as a section hiker I always pretty much had enough with me.

I own at least one of each of the following stove types: wood, gas canister, white gas, and alcohol. I find I only bring my Simmerlite in the winter or for a group. Generally it's a heavier option the rest of the time but pluses in the winter and for multiple users make it preferable. It can be finer tuned weight-wise by using different sized fuel bottles. It's a good stove to use if you have uncertainty in your fuel requirements because you can add a little more fuel to cover yourself without adding another canister. That can be done with an alcohol stove too but they aren't as hot. If you actually like to fully cook it can be a good stove as you can adjust it and it doesn't use as much fuel as other types.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

I've had both the Simmerlite and Whisperlite. I prefer the Simmerlite. It's lighter - or should I say "liter."

Images

My wife and I use a Simmerlight as our winter stove with good success and alcohol stove during the other 3 seasons.

Allow the priming fuel bowl on the WhisperLite to fill, shake off the accumulated fuel off to the side a safe distance, (no, it won't ruin the earth, it will evaporate) and light the residual liquid on the surface of the fuel bowl. Thus, no fire ball, no hazard. You are welcome.

++ New Posts ++