WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Ski lifts, tramways for A T access

I am wondering if anyone has used ski lifts such as those in Vermont as access to the A T. How did it work out?

Once too the ski lift on Pico peak (VT) and ended up far from where we should have been. Was a bit of a difficult bushwack to get back to the trail! The only other lift to the trail I can think of is on Wildcat in the Whites.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Not every ski area runs lifts for tourists during non winter seasons. There is also an issue that on occasion folks will take mechanized means to avoid the climb up a mountain planning to hike down and they are ether unequipped or in poor physical condition and have a tough time making it down or on rare occasions need assistance. This happens on Mt Washington with folks who take the autoroad or the cog railroad up. Hiking downhill uses a different set of muscles than going uphill. It would be tempting to take the Saddleback Mountain Lift in Maine pretty tempting this time of year. Stratton Abraham and Ellen in VT have lifts up to or near the AT. There is lift up Mansfield but its still quite a hike to get up tot the summits.

Thanks. I was wondering if these might be a way to break up some day hikes into a bit shorter pieces between established trailheads. Stratton, Killington and Glastenbury in Vermont seem to have some summer tourist hours for lifts.

I used the ski lift on Wildcat to get down off the trail after I determined a fall the previous day was affecting my ability to move down (NOBO) the trail at an acceptable pace. I wish it was running when I returned the next year to continue north. I had to redo about 5 miles to get to the spot where I got off.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

The Wildcat lift was not running when I broke my ankle last November. I got a ride down on an ATV from a couple of early season ski patrollers getting the summit ready for ski season.

Images

If I remember correctly, Stratton, Bromley, and Killington in VT had ski lifts to the top. The Bromley lift goes right next to the AT and Killington was about 1/4 mile away. Not sure about Stratton, I think it was a little further but it couldn't be too bad since I saw a dad with his 5 year old make it over to the lookout tower. I'd check with the ski resorts about off-season lift hours beforehand.
    It's all good in the woods.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    If I remember correctly, Stratton, Bromley, and Killington in VT had ski lifts to the top. The Bromley lift goes right next to the AT and Killington was about 1/4 mile away. Not sure about Stratton, I think it was a little further but it couldn't be too bad since I saw a dad with his 5 year old make it over to the lookout tower. I'd check with the ski resorts about off-season lift hours beforehand.
    Can anyone add to this list? I believe Sugarloaf (ME), Saddleback(ME), White Tail (PA), Technically the COG as they do take skiers, I think there is one in the south as well, all at least can be of some help getting up to the AT, though some may still require quite a climb and maybe even a bushwhack such as Saddleback.

Thanks all.

Whitetail Ski area in Pennsylvania is well west of the AT, about 50 minutes from PennMar Park.

I'm not sure how the slopes line up to the AT, but Ski Liberty is much nearer the trail in Southern Pennsylvania.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickjd9 View Post
    Whitetail Ski area in Pennsylvania is well west of the AT, about 50 minutes from PennMar Park.

I'm not sure how the slopes line up to the AT, but Ski Liberty is much nearer the trail in Southern Pennsylvania.
    I see you're right, I was thinking of Blue Mountain, PA, I'm not all that familiar with the PA ski areas but remember one being very close. Although it's not all that helpful for lift access as the road goes to the top of the mountain anyway.

There is also the ski development in VA that the trail skirts just south of SNP. I am unsure how far the lift lines are from the trail but there are seasonal homes right up to the AT boundary.

The trail crosses the Blue Ridge Parkway about 1/2 mile south of the cliff where you can see the slopes. I worked on building the relocation to remove it from the Wintergreen Resort in the 1980s.

I dont know about the AT, but i do know that ski lifts are routinely used by trekkers in the Alps. They are lusted in the guide books and on maps as transportation options.

Bromley and Killington are a breeze to get to off the lifts, and easy hikes downhill in both directions. I'll let you know about Stratton after it opens 11/19 if I can make the trip this year and it hasn't snowed/frozen over.

Taking lifts, gondolas, cograils, etc. is an expensive way to go, but downhill is my only real option, and cuts in half a hike too long for my stamina. Not the best approach for many, but I highly recommend it.
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 11-15-2022 at 14:43.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

I appreciate the information. At 80, I'm simply trying to add A T miles while I hike with or near my two adult, younger, sons. These would provide some more access options for day hikes. Interpreting summer schedules is necessary. I'm considering hiking down Greylock.

There's no lift up Greylock, but you can easily drive or shuttle to the summit. I've gone downhill both directions, and the hikes were fine, but I recommend making sure it's dry and has been for a day or two if going northbound. There are a couple of rocky areas that are always a little wet and get slippery. Going southbound was a piece of cake with no strenuous descents at all.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

I've taken my son up Greylock to hike down. I'm considering the hike down next summer, maybe both ways. And thanks for the info.

++ New Posts ++