WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Where to catch a train into NYC?

I leave tomorrow for a section from Bennington, VT sobo to DWG & I am wondering: if I decide I would like to see NYC for the 1st time where is the place on the trail to catch a train into the city?
    Is it simple or complicated? Not really a big city guy, but may want to check it out.

Thanks!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

The trail crosses the train line at Pawling,NY although I don't know how often it stops at that platform. You could also go into Wingdale, NY and there is a station there. Couple of different possibilities on that line, it's the Harlem line part of the Metro North system. Pittsfield, MA has a station there with bus and train but I am not sure if that train line runs to NYC. Some other ways too by bus. You could take the bus from DWG to NYC.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks Gator!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    The trail crosses the train line at Pawling,NY although I don't know how often it stops at that platform. You could also go into Wingdale, NY and there is a station there. Couple of different possibilities on that line, it's the Harlem line part of the Metro North system. Pittsfield, MA has a station there with bus and train but I am not sure if that train line runs to NYC. Some other ways too by bus. You could take the bus from DWG to NYC.
    You can walk north to Wingdale or south to Pawling. Pawling is very slightly more distant but there's more to do there (shops, etc) while waiting for the train than you'll find at Wingdale. So I'd recommend that.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grouse View Post
    You can walk north to Wingdale or south to Pawling. Pawling is very slightly more distant but there's more to do there (shops, etc) while waiting for the train than you'll find at Wingdale. So I'd recommend that.
    Good suggestion! I've used both stops but it was a while ago. I liked the Chinese food from Great Wall in Pawling but if you are heading into NYC I'm sure better could be had. But you could get pizza in NY...endless choices!

As a matter of fact, I started out of Pawling for a section around this time of year. I had good luck at the Great Wall. I stopped in to grab dinner and was going to take it with me and stop a little ways in on the trail to eat. Nice fellow saw my pack and offered me a lift to the trailhead. I think I had my takeout in my pack but it may have been on top. Less than a mile in northbound I stopped near some trees near a field to eat, the sun was heading down. I took out my takeout in its nice white plastic bag getting ready to eat and that's when the shooting started! Just a reminder if it's hunting season, blaze orange is a good idea, plastic white bags not so much!
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks Old Grouse!! I will look into that!!

I am also looking at an exit plan once I hit DWG. Probably hitch 4 miles to Stroudsburg and grab a bus to the airport with the cheapest flight back to Cincinnati (maybe Philly?)

I appreciate y'all!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb Another option

There are innumerable buses that go from Delaware Water Gap ("DWG") into New York City.
    https://martzbus.com/wp-content/uplo....1.22.docx.pdf

The Martz Bus station is about a 1/4 mile, 15 minute brisk walk from the church hostel in the DWG. I timed it so I'd get to the bus on time. I also bought the ticket the day before, so I didn't have to deal with a delay in the morning. Lots of commuters use these buses and can be sold out, so it's important to find one with an available seat which gets you to NYC in time to make other connections. I had to take one much earlier than I would have preferred. The buses leave once an hour starting at like 5AM.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I doubt that this is something that would interest you but I always thought it was kinda neat that you could follow the Long Path and literally take a hiking trail directly to NYC over the George Washington Bridge. Obviously there is not much in the way of legal camping as you get closer to NYC. If I recall correctly I believe the Long Path intersects with the AT in Harriman State Park.

The train mentioned indeed doesn't stop very often at all but if the times work out for you that would be my choice. And as others have mentioned the decent bus service is probably your most likely bet from the DWG. Interstate 80 leads straight from there into NYC. Have a great trip!
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    Thanks Old Grouse!! I will look into that!!

I am also looking at an exit plan once I hit DWG. Probably hitch 4 miles to Stroudsburg and grab a bus to the airport with the cheapest flight back to Cincinnati (maybe Philly?)

I appreciate y'all!!
    Another airport in that area is Lehigh Valley International Airport. I've never flown in or out of there but Greyhound will take you to Allentown and that's where the airport is. You can also get to Philly using Greyhound and as mentioned NYC but Martz Trailways also goes to NYC. You may be able to use Greyhound out of the Martz station which is easy walking distance from the DWG bridge but Greyhound lists Stroudsburg and the Martz Station is in East Stroudsburg.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Journal Entries
    Images

Post More options

There are still other ways to take mass transit from The Trail directly into New York City

At Bear Mountain, and near Agony Grind
    https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...t=#post2284569
    Near High Point State Park
    https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...t=#post2201724
    At Greenwood Lake, and near NY-Connecticut border
    https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...t=#post2195288

Unless they changed the schedule, the train stops at the AT platform only stopped there 1x a day on the weekends in each direction. If you didn't get this train you had to go to Pawling Station.
    The Martz station at DWG (in 2019) did not have wifi unless the buses were at the station. This may have changed

Journal Entries
    Images

Post Here's the horse's mouth

Here's the latest schedule:

https://new.mta.info/document/97601

The Harlem Line of the Metro North Train stops at the "Appalachian Trail" Station, going into New York City, WEEKENDS *ONLY*, at 2:35pm, 4:35pm, and 6:35pm
    It departs from Grand Central Station with a stop at the A.T. Station, after a change in trains -- again, weekends only -- at 7:09am and 9:09am.

The Metro-North Railroad (MNR) Harlem line is the train that crosses the AT at the 'Appalachian Trail' platform, ~nobo mm1452.6. The train stops at this platform only on weekends and some holidays - twice in the morning with outbound (northbound out of NYC) trains, and three afternoon times (~2, 4 & 6pm) for inbound trains.

Many more times are available for the regular stations on that line, including Pawling (in town center), Wingdale, etc., and it is a commuter rail, so operates every day of the week.

Currently, through ~November 20, 2022, ALL of the stations on this line north of Southeast (includes Pawling, AT, Wingdale...etc up to northernmost station at Wassaic) are being served by BUSES due to 'extensive track maintenance'. This can cause some delays, and add a bit of confusion, but all stations continue to be served.

Find me on the shuttle list at mm1458.5 (between Kent CT and Pawling NY). Happy to help you find train times and get you to a station if I'm available!

Not relevant to the OP, but Amtrak runs from Rutland to Penn Station. About five hrs.

You could take Amtrak from Pittsfield to Rensselaer/Albany NY, and then south to NYC. However, it is probably not the easiest to do, as the Albany to Boston train is limited (may still be only once per day), and I don't know how easily it would interact with the ones from Albany to NYC (though those are far more frequent).

Also, the trail itself is on the opposite side of Pittsfield (actually runs through Dalton) from the train station, so you would need some type of ride to access it, most likely.

Journal Entries

No one mentions Manitou near Bear Mountain. Or Garrison near Graymoor (a bit of a walk). You can also go into Peekskill from the trail (6 miles)

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
    You could take Amtrak from Pittsfield to Rensselaer/Albany NY, and then south to NYC. However, it is probably not the easiest to do, as the Albany to Boston train is limited (may still be only once per day), and I don't know how easily it would interact with the ones from Albany to NYC (though those are far more frequent).

Also, the trail itself is on the opposite side of Pittsfield (actually runs through Dalton) from the train station, so you would need some type of ride to access it, most likely.
    I rode the bus out of Pittsfield. I recall calling a cab because I exited the woods close to departure time and the bus station wasn't particularly close. Not sure about the transfer you mention.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

I rode the bus out of Pittsfield. I recall calling a cab because I exited the woods close to departure time and the bus station wasn't particularly close. Not sure about the transfer you mention.
    The station is for both bus & train, and it is definitely not close to any access of the trail (be it the Pittsfield Road crossing, where it runs through Dalton or through Cheshire), as all of those are on the eastern side of Pittsfield proper, while the station is pretty much in downtown, closer to the western side of Pittsfield.

As far as trains, I know they do run to/from Boston and stop at that station, but that train then continues west towards Buffalo (and eventually Chicago), which is why a transfer would be needed at Albany to head south for NYC.

Thus, it is certainly possible to do the trip, the question is just how easy (or more likely difficult) it can be with schedules and such (maybe even more difficult if someone is trying to return to the trail at that same spot than getting from the trail into NYC was).

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    Not relevant to the OP, but Amtrak runs from Rutland to Penn Station. About five hrs.
    That's the Ethan Allen line of Amtrak and it stops in Albany, which is where BillyGr is talking about as a transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
    The station is for both bus & train, and it is definitely not close to any access of the trail (be it the Pittsfield Road crossing, where it runs through Dalton or through Cheshire), as all of those are on the eastern side of Pittsfield proper, while the station is pretty much in downtown, closer to the western side of Pittsfield.

As far as trains, I know they do run to/from Boston and stop at that station, but that train then continues west towards Buffalo (and eventually Chicago), which is why a transfer would be needed at Albany to head south for NYC.

Thus, it is certainly possible to do the trip, the question is just how easy (or more likely difficult) it can be with schedules and such (maybe even more difficult if someone is trying to return to the trail at that same spot than getting from the trail into NYC was).
    What I meant about not knowing about the transfer is how long the wait might be. But it's relatively short (at least on one date I looked at during the week). There's a 4:42pm train out of Pittsfield to Albany, an hour and 5m wait, then Albany to NYC. That's pretty good actually. Greyhound transfers can sometimes be really atrocious! You can also go east to Springfield and transfer to a southbound train. There are multiple options that way most with a second transfer although the Vermonter (Amtrak) does stop in Springfield on the way to NYC (this one is also longer than going through Albany). I've never really found much of a benefit personally for Springfield as a hub but the Lake Shore or the Maple Leaf might work for some coming from the Great Lakes. The Maple Leaf gets to Albany then one could use the Ethan Allen line to go north or south. Lake Shore to Springfield picks up the Vermonter. I've used both the Ethan Allen and the Vermonter on sections.

As far as the OP, the Cardinal runs from NYP to Cincinnati! That one's only 3 days a week though.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++