WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Thru hike in Connecticut 2023

I am looking for info regarding shuttle service from the entrance of the Connecticut section of the AT to its southern terminus. I want to do a Northbound thru hike next year. I will be wanting to lodge at the northern trail head and shuttle to the southern trail head. Any available info on lodging and shuttles would be greatly appreciated.

Shuttle provider list on this site: https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/art...2-shuttles.pdf.

I am on the list at nobo mile 1458.5, very close to the CT southern boundary at the NY-CT line. If I am available, I do shuttles like you describe.

The CT-MA border is not directly accessible by vehicle. There are options for overnight parking that require a 1-mile, or 3-mile non-AT (i.e. blue blaze) hike from the border, or you can choose an access point further north (e.g. Jug End Rd a few miles north of the border), or south of the border. The CT-NY border is at Hoyt Rd.

Lodging most convenient to the CT-MA line will generally be B&B style/Inns/Lodges, although there are a couple of locals in Salisbury CT who host hikers, sort of hostel-like/inexpensive (find one listed on the hostel list mm1504).

Keep this in mind:
    CONNECTICUT

SHELTER CLOSURE

Alert

10/05/2022
    Update: Due to unexpected circumstances, Riga and Brassie Brook Shelters (NOBO miles 1,507.1 and 1,508.3) will not be replaced this fall as scheduled. Both shelters are deconstructed and closed until further notice. We anticipate the new shelters will be built and open in June 2023. The tent pads, campsites, and privies all remain open for use.
    Visitors should use caution when walking around the old shelter sites and stay out of areas closed off with caution tape. We will update this notice when we have more information.

You could still camp at those CT sites and actually the only shelter nearby (Limestone Spring) is about 8 AT miles south of Riga and about a half mile off trail. Sage's Ravine campsite is just north of the MA border.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Images

I recommend Jess Treat (860-248-5710) for a shuttle. She lives near the CT-MA state line and is reasonably priced.

If you can get to the Hoyt Rd trailhead by mid-afternoon, it's less than 3 miles to the Ten Mile River shelter, which also has a very nice camping area nearby.
    It's all good in the woods.

++ New Posts ++