WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Quilt question

Default Quilt question

Hi
    Well I but the bullet and purchased a zpacks quilt.
    I’m wondering what you quilt folks use, if anything, between you and the the sleeping pad. Laying directly on the fabric of the air mattress doesn’t sound comfortable.
    Thanks!

Whatever clothing I'm wearing. I mostly hammock now — about 95% in fact — and it's the same thing there.

However, for a longer trip, when I know I'm going to get wet at some point, I take a set of dry longjohns to change into when getting soaked is unavoidable. Only at the end of the day, and this set always stays dry. Change back into wet clothing in the morning. Can be a literal life-saver.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Whatever clothing I'm wearing. I mostly hammock now — about 95% in fact — and it's the same thing there.

However, for a longer trip, when I know I'm going to get wet at some point, I take a set of dry longjohns to change into when getting soaked is unavoidable. Only at the end of the day, and this set always stays dry. Change back into wet clothing in the morning. Can be a literal life-saver.
    Thank You
    Those are good thoughts. I’m a warm weather hiker and I usually sleep with no shirt or top.
    I have wondered about rigging some kind of sheet around my pad …
    Does any such thing exist commercially?

I struggle with the mummy shaped liners. I like this silk liner as it is a rectangle shape with a side entry so I don't have to shimmy into it. First season using this after giving up on other liners and so far I am happy. Also a decent price point, especially on sale. I did reinforce the stitching at a couple of corners with a needle and thread but only out of an abundance of caution, probably not necessary. I sleep inside the liner but you could use it like a "pillowcase" over your mattress to accomplish your goal.

https://soundlysleepingdragon.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Seesfar View Post
    I have wondered about rigging some kind of sheet around my pad …
    Does any such thing exist commercially?
    Search for "body pillow case" and you can find some cheap $10 options to try out. Basically an oversize pillow case to slide over your pad.

Also there are some interesting images you can have printed on the sheet.

I use one of these 'Western Mountaineering Sonora' liners and I'm a fan:
    https://www.backcountry.com/western-...ping-bag-liner

Here are my thoughts:
    It weighs in at just under 5 oz
    It's current price made me grimace a bit - I paid roughly double that 3 years ago
    I use a regular-width TAR X-Lite, and the bag helps me keep my elbows and limbs on a relatively "narrow" pad
    In the summer, I typically fall asleep in my liner only, on top of my quilt.
    The cleanliness factor is great - just throw the liner in the washing machine - extends the life and effectiveness of a down quilt by keeping it clean(er)

* Disclaimer since this is the Ultralight forum..brining a liner is unnecessary and in opposition to the UL philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Slugg View Post

Here are my thoughts:
    It's current price made me grimace a bit - I paid roughly double that 3 years ago
    I use a regular-width TAR X-Lite, and the bag helps me keep my elbows and limbs on a relatively "narrow" pad
    The cleanliness factor is great - just throw the liner in the washing machine - extends the life and effectiveness of a down quilt by keeping it clean(er)

* Disclaimer since this is the Ultralight forum..brining a liner is unnecessary and in opposition to the UL philosophy.
    Sorry link was broken.

https://www.westernmountaineering.co.../sleep-liners/

Here are my thoughts:

Thank you for sharing that. I appreciate it.
    The way I look at my relationship with UL philosophy is that … I have replaced my pack with an ultralight pack. I have replaced my bag with an expensive ultralight quilt.
    And several other swap outs to get light.
    If I need to add 5 oz in order to sleep comfortably, to me that is necessary.
    Thanks for the link. Just what I’m looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyslayer View Post
    I struggle with the mummy shaped liners. I like this silk liner as it is a rectangle shape with a side entry so I don't have to shimmy into it. First season using this after giving up on other liners and so far I am happy. Also a decent price point, especially on sale. I did reinforce the stitching at a couple of corners with a needle and thread but only out of an abundance of caution, probably not necessary. I sleep inside the liner but you could use it like a "pillowcase" over your mattress to accomplish your goal.

https://soundlysleepingdragon.com/
    Thanks So Much!

Here are my thoughts:

Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by Seesfar View Post
    Thank you for sharing that. I appreciate it.
    The way I look at my relationship with UL philosophy is that … I have replaced my pack with an ultralight pack. I have replaced my bag with an expensive ultralight quilt.
    And several other swap outs to get light.
    If I need to add 5 oz in order to sleep comfortably, to me that is necessary.
    Thanks for the link. Just what I’m looking for.
    I’m of a similar mindset, after getting my base weight down around 9 lbs I’ve inched upwards to 12-14 lbs depending on season. A comfortable sleep on the trail is invaluable.

I get hot easily, and my thighs and crotch will get sweaty, even at temps matching my quilts' ratings, when skin on skin or with my synthetic boxer briefs.

Typically wear either some cotton athletic shorts or thin, meshy running shorts that I bring strictly for sleeping in(same as at home).
    Up top, whatever I'm hiking in; UA running T, Capilene Cool Daily hoody or Capilene 1 crewneck, Capilene 2 zipneck in cold weather.
    And a Buff on my head if not using the hoody.

Garlic
    Images

Ditto on the hiking clothes. In hot weather I'm disrobed and lying on my clothes on the pad.

In my experience, a liner isn't worth its weight. A quilt will stay much cleaner than a bag, since you're not lying on it. A few minutes of sunlight during a break will sanitize the nasties. I've never had to launder my quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Ditto on the hiking clothes. In hot weather I'm disrobed and lying on my clothes on the pad.

In my experience, a liner isn't worth its weight. A quilt will stay much cleaner than a bag, since you're not lying on it. A few minutes of sunlight during a break will sanitize the nasties. I've never had to launder my quilt.
    Same on the quilt washing... maybe once every 10 years.

There was a poster some years back ... Vegan something or other ... who said he washed his quilts after every trip. Wow.

++ New Posts ++