WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Default Getting Started In Arizona

I'm an east-coaster and AT enthusiast just landed in AZ with nothing but a backpack. My brother picked me up and brought me to the Phoenix area (Glendale.) I'm trying to keep my fun maximized and costs minimal. The thought of shelling out rent money is painful. A few questions for the Arizona outdoor pros:

Where are the prime hiking spots near Phoenix?

Are there any nice (free) camping spots near Glendale?

Are there any good hammocking areas near Phoenix / Glendale?

Is there a communal hiker lifestyle (and I do mean actual hikers) out here similar to what can be found on the AT? If so, where can these folks be found?

Thanks!

Here are three I know:

Camelback mountain
    Piestewa Peak
    McDowell-Sonoran Preserve

Garlic
    Images

The Siphon Draw Trail in the Superstitions is one of the most incredible day hikes I've ever seen. The Superstition Crest Traverse is more challenging.

Lots of good hiking in the Tonto NF out of Cave Creek.

South Mountain Park and the White Tank trails are probably closest to Glendale.

The AZT probably doesn't have enough traffic to have much of a thru-hiking community yet. And it's a short hiking season. The few trail towns are just starting to market to hikers. It remains a rugged, remote trail.

Free camping is probably best found on BLM land. There are RVer communities (a la "Nomadland"), not so much thru-hikers.

The closest stand of trees is probably in the Bradshaw Mts between Phoenix and Prescott.

Garlic
    Images

If you want to meet hikers, join and get involved with the Arizona Trail Association. They're a great trail group.

The SOBO hiking season is in full swing right now on the Arizona Trail. Hike from Utah to Mexico. Plenty of places to camp along the way although water can be hard to find at times. Garlic08 is right, though. The trail can be rugged with nothing like the crowds who hike the AT.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

These are all excellent responses. I'm settling into the area and plan to get around to all of this in the months ahead. Thank you WB'ers!!!

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I had family show me the Prescott Dells.

Algonquin

''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

Day Hikes : https://www.phoenix.gov/parks/trails/locations

The closest city park for you is the North Mountain / Shaw Butte park. There is a City Parks Office off of 7th St just south of Thunderbird. They should have a simple map that shows how the parks are "connected" so you could traverse from North Mountain all the way East to the McDowell Mountain, barely touching a city sidewalk. No camping though.

From Glendale you could go west into the White Tanks. Bring plenty of water. Cave Creek is always popular. The best is the Superstitions way on the other side of town.

Camelback Mountain is overcrowded, avoid the weekends. Piestawa Peak is also popular.

Superstition Wilderness is the best for overnight / camp activities. You should be able to get a decent map from the Tonto National Forest Office.......https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tonto...forest/offices
    Or go to one of the REI 's . The Hiking Shack has topo maps https://www.hikingshack.com/

Have fun.

++ New Posts ++