WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder940 View Post
    Pretty sure hiking during or shortly after rain is optional....
    My little rant was inspired by the rules in GSMNP and rules to limit camping on the AT by "homeless" folk. Anyone who ends a lease to thruhike is voluntarily homeless, so the latter rule is based on a dubious definition.
    Hot water, hot ramen, burning alcohol, all in my lap

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    That's one reason I like Irish films - They never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
    "Mickybo and Me" is one of my favs.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Nutella and peanut butter are great together in summer months.

- Any story or relaying of information that involves fear mongering. Can't tell you how many times I nervously approached a part of the trail (a climb, a mountain range, rock scramble etc...) only to say to myself "that was it?".
    - Not really story related, but the fellow hikers who talk about thru-hikers and say "you mean your vacation", or "it's just a long walk". To me it denigrates others' experiences because for many a thru-hike is way more than just a vacation or a long walk, and is a source of lifelong pride. Just rubs me the wrong way to hear it said.
    It is what it is.

I want to hear stories about slowest known time (SKT)... where a thoughtful, deliberate person stopped where ever there was something to enjoy or learn, and emerged from the trail with incredible knowledge and experience. So many fly by everything (the history, nature, views, people...) so fast as to gain nothing.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wyclif View Post
    If you're a thru-hiker on the A.T., there are some stories that get told, re-told, and embellished. And this can become a problem because if you're hiking in any kind of "bubble", you're hiking with mostly the same hikers while new people are catching up to you and others are passing you.

So eventually your trail family will get sick and tired of hearing the same stories over and over again getting told to new people in the group.

Some stories I never get tired of hearing, like the infamous "Baltimore Jack, Death, Decay, and the Doyle" story where he discovered a corpse in Duncannon, PA. Or the various Grandma Gatewood stories, which are still fascinating to me no matter how many times they are re-told. Or maybe it's a story about a famous place or establishment on the trail, or about a crazy person encountered on the trail.

What trail stories are you sick and tired of hearing on the trail and wish would be retired permanently?
    Being that I own a hostel I absolutely get sick and tired of having to listen the same adventure story on a daily basis. Especially with the nobo crowd. Many of these folks have never been on such an adventure and when they arrive in Damascus it is a great accomplishment. Then they are gonna talk about it. And I am going to be one of the first to hear that story. It is going to be the same story I heard years ago that has never changed. I tolerate it though because at one time I was telling anyone who cared to listen a tale of my adventure. I have probably passed a few that have heard my story before but they just put up with my bull****.

Journal Entries
    Images

The word "I" in all of the stories
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++