WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default What trail stories are you the most tired of hearing?

If you're a thru-hiker on the A.T., there are some stories that get told, re-told, and embellished. And this can become a problem because if you're hiking in any kind of "bubble", you're hiking with mostly the same hikers while new people are catching up to you and others are passing you.

So eventually your trail family will get sick and tired of hearing the same stories over and over again getting told to new people in the group.

Some stories I never get tired of hearing, like the infamous "Baltimore Jack, Death, Decay, and the Doyle" story where he discovered a corpse in Duncannon, PA. Or the various Grandma Gatewood stories, which are still fascinating to me no matter how many times they are re-told. Or maybe it's a story about a famous place or establishment on the trail, or about a crazy person encountered on the trail.

What trail stories are you sick and tired of hearing on the trail and wish would be retired permanently?

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

~John Muir

Gatewood.
    20 years ago she was considered just this nice lady who hobo'd town to town along the AT.
    Now, thanks in no small part to a spam campaign by "A Mighty Girl," she's a super hero.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

I’m tired of aggressive bears.

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

Any story that mentions Bill Bryson's book "A Walk In The Woods"

Images

I quickly tire of hikers who talk endlessly about their gear.
    It's all good in the woods.

Journal Entries
    Images

Angry Not a story, but a joke that's not amusing anymore

I want the "joke" that ends "I only need to outrun YOU" to never be repeated again. People in a panic HAVE used its "advice," resulting in the first documented bear fatality in New Jersey history.
    https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/09...in-new-jersey/
    Staying together in a group and NOT running will pretty much guarantee a non-fatal encounter with a black bear, no matter how aggressive it is*.
    It's a simple case of, "It stops being a joke after somebody gets killed." The latter has happened, so let's stop spreading this advice.

* I'll also note that, once you learn of an aggressive bear nearby, you should NOT decide to get closer to that bear -- particularly if nobody has bear repellent ready for use.
    Last edited by GoldenBear; 11-07-2022 at 08:27.

Images

"Bill Bryson is a candy ass!" ~ The Baltimore Jack cheer, with trekking poles raised

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

~John Muir

I hate the made up stories about good weather and trail magic, all BS.

The stories of those out adventuring on others dimes!

BS about hiking through the mud puddles. Clearly we should minimize erosion by not splashing, not stirring up mud, and not making the low spots lower.

The best thing to avoid erosion? Do not hike during or shortly after rain. But trail policy limits time spent in any one place, with no exceptions for weather.
    Hot water, hot ramen, burning alcohol, all in my lap

Stories about people digging a cat hole with their boot or trekking pole. Like an older guy on my thru hike said "anybody who says they dig a cat hole with their boot or pole is probably full of **** in more ways then one."
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Gatewood.
    20 years ago she was considered just this nice lady who hobo'd town to town along the AT.
    Now, thanks in no small part to a spam campaign by "A Mighty Girl," she's a super hero.
    You should read the book(s) about her. She was not just some senile freeloader that was stumbling down the trail.

She put up a lot lot abuse, both physical and mental, in her marriage and family life, and was able to surmount it all and go on to hike the AT, and other trails.

She was one tough woman.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    She was not just some senile freeloader that was stumbling down the trail.
    Who are you responding to?
    i based my comment on hearing from, and talking with, her family who held a panel discussion at an ALDHA Gathering in Hanover. They agreed Gatewood's journeys wouldn't be considered a thru-hike by contemporary standards. She was a nice lady who hobo'd town to town along the AT. I agree with the old-timers, Dorothy Laker was the first woman to solo thru-hike the AT.
    The recent hagiography, endlessly promoted by a spam campaign, seems to be the sole reference many have to the early days of thru-hiking, and that's a shame.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    The stories of those out adventuring on others dimes!
    I don't object to legitimate work-for-stay, but doing a long-distance hike without the money for basic needs and having to rely on the generosity of fellow hikers and trail neighbors isn't something to be praised.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

1. whining about the crowd that the whiner is a part of
    2. "I survived {fill in the blank for something stupid the writer managed to get into}"

I don't think there are any "stories" that I tire of hearing -- or jokes, legends, or myths. But there are definitely some "character types" that tire me quickly!

The type that defines HYOH as "I can do whatever I darn well please, and everyone else can kiss my arse."

The type that talk too much and too loud; who have poor boundaries and little respect for others -- not to mention for the natural world.

Whiners...'nuff said.

"Judges, Preachers, and Masters" -- I don't mind talks about gear; I can and always want to learn from others. There are a lot of good teachers out there and I enjoy learning from them. And if someone wants to yammer on and on about their gear, that's okay -- if they're proud and happy with what they have likely spent a lot of time and/or money on, that's fine. I'm sure I can see myself in them if I care to take a hard look. But I definitely do not care for those who judge and preach, versus teach.

And since this suddenly sounds perilously close to whining, I'll just leave it at that.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Who are you responding to?
    i based my comment on hearing from, and talking with, her family who held a panel discussion at an ALDHA Gathering in Hanover. They agreed Gatewood's journeys wouldn't be considered a thru-hike by contemporary standards. She was a nice lady who hobo'd town to town along the AT. I agree with the old-timers, Dorothy Laker was the first woman to solo thru-hike the AT.
    The recent hagiography, endlessly promoted by a spam campaign, seems to be the sole reference many have to the early days of thru-hiking, and that's a shame.
    My response was a knee-jerk reaction based on a book I read about her. Sorry if I offended you.

Gatewood did complete the AT, but not all in one year.

Dorothy Laker also impressed me with her determination.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Actually I love all the stories, hey sure beat the news.

Grandma Gatewood hiked four times as many miles as me, and was a founding member of thye Buckeye Trail Association. I am inclined to respect the miles and not quibble over the details.
    Hot water, hot ramen, burning alcohol, all in my lap

The Gatewood question brings up a bigger issue worthy of being relegated to the scrap heap. That is, what is or is not a thru hike and why it does or does not matter.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++