WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: gaiters

:banana gaiters

Yep. I'm old school and wear gaiters. I prefer something short. I wear trail runners by Xero. This summer I was backpacking and realized at one point that a friend I made on trail was younger than my gaiters! Thinking it may be time to replace them? I just keep repairing them.

Next summer I will be doing my backpacking and day hikes in AZ, UT and probably WY. Might also go to SD or possibly through CO instead as we head back to AZ for the balloon fiesta in October. After that, we aren't really sure where we will go for the winter.

Suggestions?
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

On the A.T. I pack both a pair of ankle-height Altra gaiters and the almost knee-height Outdoor Research gaiters. I started doing the latter years ago after I got burned walking though a patch of stinging nettles. They might also save you from a rattlesnake bite, assuming the strike isn't very hard and glances off without the fangs penetrating the material (which is iffy to be sure).

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

~John Muir

I am not sure what the question is, where to go hiking in winter or should gaiters be repaired. So I'll go for both.

I too have worn gaiters all the time for a number of reasons, chief of them being comfort. Beyond being exceptionally well suited to keeping trail debris out of footgear, they keep my socks cleaner, prevents wicking moisture from dew or rain covered trailside plants, are a decent barrier for ticks, and provide protection from low branches and briars when off trail.

I have had gaiters last me for many years with some repairs needed along the way, to the point I can recognize when a new pair is needed as opposed to another field fix. Typically I keep the needle and thread handy until the elastic at the top of the short gaiters fails, signaling a new pair should be put on the xmas list. I've not thought about them as snakebite protection but I can see how the OR calf-high gaiters high might be beneficial in snake laden areas.

As for where to go in winter, for me there are few things as enjoyable than snow shoeing in the mountains. A variety of snowshoes in the market now provides a rather broad selection for the type of snowshoeing one would like to pursue, be it off trail with shoes having the width for float, to rather narrow snowshoes for walking trails without potholing every 3rd step.

My $0.02

So a little thread drift...

I wear mid ankle Oboz boots. Have never had a problem with debris getting in my boots. Seems as though the need for gaiters is primarily for trail runner shoes.

Are gaiters necessary on the AT?

For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyslayer View Post
    So a little thread drift...

I wear mid ankle Oboz boots. Have never had a problem with debris getting in my boots. Seems as though the need for gaiters is primarily for trail runner shoes.

In a word, No. They are not actually necessary. They are an accessory meant to enhance your hiking experience.
    I personally have hiked with them and noted their benefits. I have also hiked alot without them and did just fine. FWIW I also use mid-high boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyslayer View Post

I wear gaiters. Without gaiters, if I also wear shorts, all kinds of stuff gets in my mid-boots. If I wear long pants nothing gets in except dirt and dust. That turns my grey wool sock black and has me changing socks prematurely.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Images

It also depends on your gait and what kind of shoes you're wearing. The higher the boot, the less you need gaiters. And some people have the ability to hike over all kinds of pebbles and twigs and not kick up anything that will get into shoes.

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

~John Muir

I use them (dirty girls) mostly to keep dirt out of my trail runners. I also spray them with tick spray and it seems to help keep ticks from landing on my shoes and the trying to crawl up my legs.

Usually wear them backpacking with short pants. For day hiking only in wet, muddy or snowy conditions where I kick up more sticky stuff. Along with poles they allow you to hop over or hike through mud puddles of which many have rock steps.

Trying to be educational not preachy. From the LNT Center for Outdoor Ethics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvr-S14cbvE

love them! i like the low ones, they just st have to cover the top of my boots.

Yes, use them on all my hikes. Same reason as others stated, keep rocks/dirt out of my boots and deflects rain or morning dew from same.

++ New Posts ++