WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Here is another option for a flip flop, which I plan to do starting in mid-April: Start at Springer and head north. Pick a date in the third week of July to flip to Baxter State Park. I will be somewhere in the vicinity of NYC (from Delaware Water Gap to Pawling, NY) and will commute to NYC. I will fly from NYC to Bangor, take the bus to Medway and get picked up by the AT Lodge, where I'll spend a night. I will have reserved a campsite for Katahdin Stream for 2 nights -- to give myself some wiggle room if the weather is not good on the first day or I need a zero. From Baxter State Park, I will head south.

If you do this type of flip flop will avoid the worst of the NE mud season and black fly season.

Quote Originally Posted by rubyvermonter View Post
    Here is another option for a flip flop, which I plan to do starting in mid-April: Start at Springer and head north. Pick a date in the third week of July to flip to Baxter State Park. I will be somewhere in the vicinity of NYC (from Delaware Water Gap to Pawling, NY) and will commute to NYC. I will fly from NYC to Bangor, take the bus to Medway and get picked up by the AT Lodge, where I'll spend a night. I will have reserved a campsite for Katahdin Stream for 2 nights -- to give myself some wiggle room if the weather is not good on the first day or I need a zero. From Baxter State Park, I will head south.

If you do this type of flip flop will avoid the worst of the NE mud season and black fly season.
    That’s exactly what I did (flipped to Maine from Pawling, NY). It wasn’t my plan. I thought I was going to do the whole thing NOBO. But I was an awful hiker (as I mentioned before). And once late August rolled around, I knew I’d have to change my plans. If I knew then what I know now, I would have planned a flip-flop from the very beginning. Finishing the trail is finishing the trail no matter how you do it. And it’s such a shame to waste your energy stressing by about miles and days and deadlines on a once-in-a-lifetime hike like this

Congratulations for being flexible and switching to a flip flop. You are the first person I've heard that flipped north to Baxter from Pawling! I'm delighted that you did it. Although, as I wrote above, I plan to flip in late July. I don't want to get anxious about the weather. This year, it was very cold/wintry mix on Mt Washington and Baxter Peak in mid September.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default I started NOBO from Springer April 17.

Quote Originally Posted by rubyvermonter View Post

Started from Springer ,NOBO, April 17. Little cold weather to cope with. Most shelters were not crowded. Little bug problems. Flipped to Maine from Doncannon and summited Katahadin on July 22. Finished on Oct. 14.
    I found the hiking great, season wise, with little crowds. Took me 201 days @ 66 years old.
    Grampie-N->2001

I've visited a couple of hiking forums today.
    There seems to be a lot of posts with a similar uncertainty.
    Will I have time? Will I have enough money? Am I too old/young? What will life be like after the trail? I don't like Ramen, will I die?

Just go hike!

How many monkey butlers will there be?

One at first. But he'll train others.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++