WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Bag temp for a flipper?

Hey guys and gals, I'm going back out for a 3rd attempted thru next year, but switching it up a bit. Instead of starting in GA, I'm gonna do a flip this time heading north from Harpers Ferry. Probably leaving at the end of April and just wondering what you recommend for a bag temp rating? I'm thinking like in the past that a 20 degree should do me fine as I get cold easily, but thought I'd confirm before I make the investment. And if you have any other recommendations about my flip, I'm happy to hear them. Already dreaming about being on the trail again. Thanks

I'd say you'd be good with a 20 as long as you have some kind of down/synthetic jacket also to supplement with. Guessing that time of year you're going to see a few below 20F nights. I do a lot of trips in Ga, Tn and Nc during winter months and a 10F gets me by well. There's been a few times I've had to slip on my down jacket on some sub 0 nights though.

What sleeping bag did you use on your 1st and 2nd attempts? How'd it work for you? I know you are starting further north this time but it would give us some data to put your question in context!
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Be sure to pair it with a high R value pad.

And referring to your other post about adding down to a synthetic bag, that doesn’t sound like a recipe for “third time’s the charm” I am very glad I spent a bit more money on lighter gear for my thru at 58. Not sure I would have made it with the old stuff I had.

Thanks. I used a 20 degree EE quilt on one of the hikes and wont be using a quilt ever again. Thought I'd save weight, but not enough that made it worth the cold drafts from my rolling around in the night. Never again. And I used a 15 degree WM on the other hike which was great, but I sold it. Agreed that a high quality bag makes a difference. I'll never buy cheap again, like trying Nemo which I found to be all hype and a poor rating. Not sure what that other post was about. Not even sure it's my post. But I lived in the woods for 5 years so it may not have even been related to the AT. I'll probably go WM again so that's why I'm confirming before the investment.

With this added info PawLovesAnna I'm going to second the opinion that I think a 20 degree bag seems about right. Hope it works out for you!
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

This is what I carry for cold weather. It's a 0F but I bought it about 15yrs ago so I call it a 10F or more now due to age. They still make the same model now just with a higher down rating so it's lighter than mine. It's $$ but if you can swing it you won't regret.

https://featheredfriends.com/collect...n-sleeping-bag

They've got some great 20F rated bags - thinking about one of those myself....

.. also, nice thing about that bag is it has open baffles and you can shift the down around when you need to. If the temp warms up just shift some down around to the bottom.

I left HF April 19th this year with a 30 degree bag and was fine. Even though the day we showed up at HF it was snowing! Ended up at a hostel that night instead of going straight to the shelter after detraining at 5:15PM. It warmed up quickly after that.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thanks for the advice and info everyone. Truly appreciated. At some point or another, I think we all know what it's like to get out there and feel screwed one way or another so this is what it's all about. April can't come soon enough! Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I left HF April 19th this year with a 30 degree bag and was fine. Even though the day we showed up at HF it was snowing! Ended up at a hostel that night instead of going straight to the shelter after detraining at 5:15PM. It warmed up quickly after that.
    And ah yes, bad weather days and hostel bound! They never look better than those times! And there's something admittedly twisted about having a good laugh with the other hostel'ers about those who are still stuck in it. Haha

++ New Posts ++