WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm afraid of heights but I had zero issues with Albert Mountain. As far as difficulty it's more fun than hard. The climb out of Stekoah Gap (Sweetwater Cliffs aka Jacobs Ladder) is much harder, IMO.

Part of the trail just before the Albert Mountain summit is on the side of the mountain, with a steep drop to the right for awhile, but there's brush and trees so that you don't feel like you're teetering on the edge of oblivion.

No problem going up the steep side. Much worse in NH/Maine. In any case there is a blue blaze weather trail. Would bypass only when lightning is present.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roper View Post

Part of the trail just before the Albert Mountain summit is on the side of the mountain, with a steep drop to the right for awhile, but there's brush and trees so that you don't feel like you're teetering on the edge of oblivion.
    Good to know! I was also obsessing over drop-offs even more than climbs. I'm a certified klutz so drop-off scare me. but if i know it's there i can mentally prepare. How long is the scary drop-off part?
    “By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my own actions a great sinner, and by calling a wanderer.”
    -Quote adapted from "The Way of A Pilgrim"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MamaKatBrigid View Post
    Good to know! I was also obsessing over drop-offs even more than climbs. I'm a certified klutz so drop-off scare me. but if i know it's there i can mentally prepare. How long is the scary drop-off part?
    I believe the trail has been moved in between Mooney Gap and where you start up Albert where it used to skirt a sheer drop, which I think is now a side trail to access that spot. Nothing at the top of Albert to give you the heebie jeebies, unless you climb the tower, which you can't access the top anyway. Some good pics to be taken from the steps, though.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

++ New Posts ++