WhiteBlaze Pages 2023
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $5 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 37 of 37
  1. #21

    Default

    MK, Albert Mtn has been trekked by an infinite number of people with varying degrees of ability and experience for years. I'm confident you will find the same success as the people before you. Enjoy your walk.
    "What brings no benefit to the hive brings no benefit to the bee" Marcus Aurelius

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    05-14-2016
    Location
    West-central Indiana
    Posts
    415

    Default

    Stop often and laugh at the absurdity of the climb. You'll be fine, plus the view is worth it.

  3. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-18-2016
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Age
    44
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Im shakey on heights, but I loved this very short section of the trail. There was plenty of tree cover in May 2017, which helped me feel less exposed while hiking up it.
    I tried to go up the tower at the top and came down quickly after a few steps, if that says anything. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!!

  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    1. Hand work is just for balance, it isnt rock climbing
    2. Yes, would stow your poles that last half mile
    3. Definitely plan on taking a photo break at the top, fire tower views are spectacular

    If you can take the time, you might be surprised at how much easier a two week section is than 5 three day sections. Your trail legs really do develop. Just dont try to carry two weeks of food. Happy trails.
    Twice in 2021-2022, i planned ten-day trips. The first time, I severely sprained my wrist on day 2 and had to bail on day 3 (solo hiker, non-functional hand, not a good combo lol). The second time, I woke up very sick on Day 3 with what turned out to be covid, and had to bail. That's why it took me a whole dang year to do GA... i kept having to go one weekend at a time, instead of one or two big trips, LOL.
    By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my own actions a great sinner, and by calling a wanderer.
    -Quote adapted from "The Way of A Pilgrim"

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JackieO View Post
    I’m shakey on heights, but I loved this very short section of the trail. There was plenty of tree cover in May 2017, which helped me feel less exposed while hiking up it.
    I tried to go up the tower at the top and came down quickly after a few steps, if that says anything. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!!
    Heights give me anxiety, too. Are there any spots on the trail leading up to Albert with sheer dropoffs on the side of the trail? I know there are a few spots "somewhere" on the trail where one side is rock/mountain and the other side is basically nothing. More than a steep climb, steep dropoffs are my actual biggest fear.
    By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my own actions a great sinner, and by calling a wanderer.
    -Quote adapted from "The Way of A Pilgrim"

  6. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    MK, Albert Mtn has been trekked by an infinite number of people with varying degrees of ability and experience for years. I'm confident you will find the same success as the people before you. Enjoy your walk.
    Thanks! One step at a tiime!
    By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my own actions a great sinner, and by calling a wanderer.
    -Quote adapted from "The Way of A Pilgrim"

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roper View Post

    Part of the trail just before the Albert Mountain summit is on the side of the mountain, with a steep drop to the right for awhile, but there's brush and trees so that you don't feel like you're teetering on the edge of oblivion.
    Good to know! I was also obsessing over drop-offs even more than climbs. I'm a certified klutz so drop-off scare me. but if i know it's there i can mentally prepare. How long is the scary drop-off part?
    By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my own actions a great sinner, and by calling a wanderer.
    -Quote adapted from "The Way of A Pilgrim"

  8. #28
    scope's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-08-2006
    Location
    Chamblee, GA
    Age
    59
    Posts
    1,576
    Images
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MamaKatBrigid View Post
    Good to know! I was also obsessing over drop-offs even more than climbs. I'm a certified klutz so drop-off scare me. but if i know it's there i can mentally prepare. How long is the scary drop-off part?
    I believe the trail has been moved in between Mooney Gap and where you start up Albert where it used to skirt a sheer drop, which I think is now a side trail to access that spot. Nothing at the top of Albert to give you the heebie jeebies, unless you climb the tower, which you can't access the top anyway. Some good pics to be taken from the steps, though.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-18-2016
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Age
    44
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MamaKatBrigid View Post
    Heights give me anxiety, too. Are there any spots on the trail leading up to Albert with sheer dropoffs on the side of the trail? I know there are a few spots "somewhere" on the trail where one side is rock/mountain and the other side is basically nothing. More than a steep climb, steep dropoffs are my actual biggest fear.
    Yes, for me anyway. Going north past Wesser Bald Shelter there was a rocky summit where there were no trees. It came up suddenly as you turn down the trail and I felt instant dread. I just sat on the rock and eased myself down it, easy breezy lol.
    I looked at my notes to see if i jotted down a name for it Im not positive, but it may be called jump-up or jump-off lookout. There were gorgeous expansive views; I wish I had snapped a photo, but I didnt want to linger.
    I hope this is encouraging, I feel like the parts where my heart was beating the hardest have also been the most beautiful/rewarding.

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-18-2016
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Age
    44
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JackieO View Post
    Yes, for me anyway. Going north past Wesser Bald Shelter there was a rocky summit where there were no trees. It came up suddenly as you turn down the trail and I felt instant dread. I just sat on the rock and eased myself down it, easy breezy lol.
    I looked at my notes to see if i jotted down a name for it Im not positive, but it may be called jump-up or jump-off lookout. There were gorgeous expansive views; I wish I had snapped a photo, but I didnt want to linger.
    I hope this is encouraging, I feel like the parts where my heart was beating the hardest have also been the most beautiful/rewarding.
    Edit: I just noticed that you were interested in the trail leading up to Albert mtn. The section I described is about 30 miles north of there. Thats the only one thats bothered me so far.

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-14-2015
    Location
    Rome, Georgia
    Posts
    413

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MamaKatBrigid View Post
    Heights give me anxiety, too. Are there any spots on the trail leading up to Albert with sheer dropoffs on the side of the trail? I know there are a few spots "somewhere" on the trail where one side is rock/mountain and the other side is basically nothing. More than a steep climb, steep dropoffs are my actual biggest fear.
    I don't recall exactly, but it's perhaps five or ten minutes on the trail. There are plenty of other stretches that are similar - just north of Jacob's Ladder, the Sawteeth past Charlie's Bunion, etc. But none of them will bother you because there are always trees or brush so that you don't feel imperiled, even though you have a fear of heights (ditto with me). I guess the most difficult, technical stretch of trail in the South may be the half mile north of Dragon's Tooth, near Catawba, VA. But even that didn't bother me. You aren't going to have any trouble dealing with a fear of heights on the AT. You've already done stuff similar to what you'll be doing going north (at least through middle Virginia, which is the limit of my experience on the trail). My list of fears is this: thunderstorms (slight), snakes (very slight), bears (very, very, very slight), ticks/hornets/wasps (miniscule), crazy people (so miniscule as to be almost non-existent), anything else (basically nada), heights (nada).

  12. #32

    Default

    NH and ME are a whole different ballgame. But by then after 1800 miles you are committed.

  13. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    NH and ME are a whole different ballgame. But by then after 1800 miles you are committed.
    since I'm only sectioning for the next fifteen years till i retire, it'll be a long while till i make it that far LOL.
    By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my own actions a great sinner, and by calling a wanderer.
    -Quote adapted from "The Way of A Pilgrim"

  14. #34

    Default

    I didn't find Albert Mtn all that tough. I thought Standing Indian & Cheowah Bald were a lot more tougher. Great view from Albert on a clear day.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  15. #35

    Default

    more tougher? Seems like 6 1/2 years of college wasn't enough for me!

  16. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jomo1983 View Post
    I didn't find Albert Mtn all that tough. I thought Standing Indian & Cheowah Bald were a lot more tougher. Great view from Albert on a clear day.
    wow what a gorgeous pic!
    By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my own actions a great sinner, and by calling a wanderer.
    -Quote adapted from "The Way of A Pilgrim"

  17. #37
    Registered User JNI64's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-23-2019
    Location
    Harpers ferry wv.
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jomo1983 View Post
    I didn't find Albert Mtn all that tough. I thought Standing Indian & Cheowah Bald were a lot more tougher. Great view from Albert on a clear day.
    "Sea of clouds "

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •