WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Stoves with piezo igniter storage

Is it ok to store a stove (e.g. Soto Windmaster) with a piezo igniter inside of a pot containing the fuel cannister? Are these igniters sensitive to moisture? I am relatively new cannister stove usage.

I would think they would work if slightly damp. I bet a quick strong blow of air would be enough to make it functional again... I always have a back up mini bic. There are really cool ones with long necks with GENIUS marketing with Snoop Dog and Martha Stewart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdYXpP8G-AA

The Jetboil Minimo has a piezo igniter, and the burner and small canister are designed to fit in the pot.
    Piezo igniters can fail mechanically, so I would always carry an alternate ignition source.

Images

It's easy to bend the ignition wire when packing it inside the pot. It's imprtant not to change the distance of the wire to the stove burner surface in the case of this stove:

If the wire touches the stove it won't work.

If the wire is too far away from the metal it won't work.

DO NOT CHANGE WIRE POSITION

Piezos definitely fail, bring that bic mini

That's one thing I liked about my jetboil when I purchased it many moons ago the igniter/burner and small canister all fit in the pot.
    And yes the igniter is sensitive to moisture take a Bic for sure. But what I also had happened was a little of rust forming at the bottom corner of the pot due to electrolysis maybe between the two metals. So I started using a half bandana at the bottom of the pot to separate the two metals.

++ New Posts ++