WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Someone has to do IT!!!

How do you find someone to do farm chores while you are on the trail? Feeding and watering livestock, cutting grass, and general maintenance.

Usually cash money will do the trick.

More seriously, find someone you trust not to screw everything up, and tell them they can have the farm proceeds for the time you’re gone. I have a financial advising practice, my business partners gave me a month vacation and then took all my share of the income thereafter until my return. It gave me the freedom to hike without worrying much…and the motivation to hike fast!!

I had an uncle with a farm when I was a puppy and asked him how he went on family vacation if he had to do chores. He said he and the farmer down the road would trade off. My uncle would do his chores for a couple of weeks while he was out of town, and he would do my uncles chores for a couple of weeks while my uncle was on family vacation. I guess because they were both farmers and knew each other that they could depend on the other getting the job done right.

I know people offer a free place to stay in trade for chores. Check out work stay dot com.. Lots of places down in Central/South America and Hawaii do this on small organic farms. They will put up a shelter or use an old barn for workers to stay - Offer some food and free lodging in exchange for a certain amount of work. Usually people are there managing the helpers. It would be difficult to find the right person to take on farm work while you are away.....

Quote Originally Posted by Birthright View Post
    Feeding and watering livestock
    Extended thru hike?

How about thinning the herd? Sell off some/all of the livestock before leaving on a thru hike. Then buy new when you return. Then you don't have to worry about someone screwing it up or doing a halfass job or quitting on you mid-hike.

If a shorter trip my uncle would do what perrymk suggested and get a trusted neighbor. Swap vacation coverage and/or supplement with cash money as HankIV noted.

Good suggestions but selling livestock is off the table. Animals cannot just be bought and sold and replaced. They become a part of everyday farm life. My farm does not generate income so there are no proceeds to share with the help except for what I pay out of pocket. It's a big farm. I farm sat for a friend for many years while they went to Canada. I never thought that I would one day need someone to help me.

++ New Posts ++