WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Winter camping guide

The Big Guide to Winter Camping"
    its what my new video is about. It's a winter camping guide where the main topic is pitching a tent in a storm.
    Also much more. Trick you might have missed.
    Feel free to watch, 😉

https://youtu.be/tLiVrZfa4AU

Thanks for the video, I really like your stuff.

I'm doing lots of winter hiking here in the Alps, but under way less severe conditions that you are faced.

One thing I had to learn the hard way is to take extra care about the tent poles. You leave them folded in half, rolled up in the tent pack. I pack them the way you got the tent packed from the store, and once while setting up the tent one pole, expanded to full length, slipped from my near-frozen fingers and started to slide down the gentle slope, finally disappearing under the snow like a lance. What a desaster, you cant setup the tent with one pole missing.
    It took me some serious effort to dig out the pole undamaged, finally.

Another thing I had to learn is, I usually use the ski sticks as main tent stakes. One time I found the snow to lose and powdery to get a firm hold of the sticks, so i poured some water around the set stick.
    This worked perfectly fine during the night, but turned out into a serious problem to remove the stick from the frozen ground. All snow around the stick was frozen into one solid piece of ice.

Thanks for all the good advice you are giving!

Journal Entries

Im glad that you liked it.
    I also often use the skis to secure the tent. But then usually on the leeward side as it is easier to take them from there. If I need them.
    Yes, and when you learn the hard way, you don't forget it so easily later, an advantage👍

++ New Posts ++