WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default TN91 to Damascus NOB - status check on bear activity

I'm considering a weekend hike TN91 north into Damascus this fall. Now that the camping restriction is lifted, would appreciate feedback from anyone who has camped this section recently. I expect there are still bears in the area, but have there been encounters since the ban was lifted? TIA!
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver

That first shelter north of TN91, Double Springs, has always had increased bear activity. Last time I stayed there we saw a mom and 3 cubs(3 years ago). This is not up to date info but is what I have to contribute!
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 08-18-2023 at 09:52.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I heard of hikers running into bears without incident north of US421 earlier this year.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

I just did that section in early June without incident & didn't hear about any bear problems. As a workaround, it can be slack-packed fairly easily, hopping off/on at McQueen's Gap

Thank you for the feedback!
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver

There have been camping bans in that stretch between 421 and Damascus at times the last 2-3 years, as a result we did 421 to Damascus as a day hike, very doable, and then did 421 to Wilbur Dam Road in 2 days, so no camping in the bear-prone area. On our way to 421 our shuttle driver told us about the problem bear that hangs on in the area north of 421, and we saw it on that day hike, very comfortably hanging out in the middle of the trail.

++ New Posts ++