WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default CDT#1 - Crazy Cook to Lordsburg, NM

My first CDT trip is finished. I feel like I have a lot and nothing to say about it at the same time. I'll do my best!

This was my first experience in the desert other than pulling off the road and gazing at overlooks on family trips. Prior to the trip my ego of previous trail experience was gunna just swoop me off my feet and carry me along thru the desert with ease. I meticulously asked questions, got great responses and did my research. Here are my results....

I arrived at the Mexican border at 9:30am after a 3 hour shuttle from Lordsburg, NM. The whole process was with great ease. Once we got terminus photos hikers started to trickle off down the trail, me being first. For an AT trip my 26lb pack + water would have been a real deal breaker on starting but with the terrain lacking any real elevation change I set the pack weight microscope to the side and weighed more on caution of the unknown than I would have on experienced turf. My plan from the beginning was to split the 85 miles to Lordsburg into 4 full days. Basically 21 miles a day for 4 days. This I completed.

With the trip, in my opinion being lackluster of encounters I am going to post lessons learned, for a southern NM hike in April.

• Pack weight is just as critical as anywhere else.
    • I took an umbrella and a sun hoody. After the second day I didn't use the umbrella anymore and used the sun hoody only(no undershirt) for the rest of the trip. I would not bring the umbrella if I started over
    • Water was not as scary as the warnings. Yes the water gaps are on average 7-10 miles apart but I camel'ed up days before the trip and when I started, with a body full of water and hydration, I never carried more than 2 liters of water (if dry camping I took .5L extra). I also used 2 packets of liquid IV every day. Basically every other bottle of water was LIV.
    • I learned real quick to wake up early. I am typically one to sleep in and get walking by 8am on trail but out there I would wake up and be walking by 6am to beat that heat. It was surprising how much faster the miles would go in the early morning before the sun and heat were out. I would get my first 6-7 miles in before 9am.
    • Wait out the heat, Most on trail would break for an hour or 2 during the hottest of the day. Which seemed to be around 12-4ish. I only took a break 1 of 4 days and just walked thru the heat.
    • Shoes - Your on non cushioned surface the whole time. I wore Altra Olympus shoes with a couple hundred miles on them. I could feel the heat of the ground thru them and I got some major deep skin blisters from impact/ repeated pressure.
    • Clothing - I wore my Columbia zip off pants the entire time, or just underwear in my tent. I also only wore the sun hoody. I brought camp clothes and rain jacket. I would not bring these again.

After 85 miles my feet were toast. I formed deep blisters under the pads of my feet, they received enough fluid thru the days that the fluid was pushing and separating the skin going up the sides of my toes. I have to correct this for future trips. These are not rubbing/ friction blisters. They are from impact/ repeated pressure. I am thinking that thicker sole shoes with more cushion would go along way. In the end I am proud of the 85 miles I did however I am not currently extremely eager to go back into the desert. I missed the trees and streams and cool wind of the Appalachians, to see the bright green grass of Tennessee was a very welcomed site.

Thank you to all that helped my for my adventure - GM
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 04-20-2023 at 13:08.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Enjoyed your perspective. Keep at it.

Good info Gambit, thanks for the post. I've got three more years until free of work - looking at either the PCT or CDT when I can through. I'm like you though, not sure about the desert part; I do like the Appalachian enviro. I've done about 100 miles in the Grand Canyon, I did like that.

I really enjoyed reading this.. as a huge fan of Georgia and Tennessee, I really appreciate you sharing your experience in the desert.

++ New Posts ++