WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: OO canvas

Default OO canvas

In his book titled "Camp and Trail" published in 1907, Stewart Edward White advises his reader to use only "OO canvas" for their canvas kayaks (not sure if they are letters or digits).
    Does anybody know what kind of canvas it might have been back then? Does "OO" stands for a type/kind of canvas, or it was some manufacturer's brand name?
    link to the publication below;
    " The best sort are constructed of OO canvas." - https://www.google.com/books/edition...v=1&bsq=canvas - page 162

Just a guess but maybe it referred to the thickness of the canvas similar to how copper wire sizes are denoted in the U.S. '00' or 'Double Aught' being thicker than say #2 or #1.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossbar View Post
    Just a guess but maybe it referred to the thickness of the canvas similar to how copper wire sizes are denoted in the U.S. '00' or 'Double Aught' being thicker than say #2 or #1.
    I believe you are correct. I did some web surfing and the heaviest canvas I could find was #4. The smaller the number, the heavier the canvas per yard. I couldn't find any 00, but presumably it is the heaviest canvas you could buy in the past.

++ New Posts ++