WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I use an umbrella - won't leave home without it. I find it keeps me drier than anything else. If it's cool, I'll wear a fleece (cheap fleece is as good as most, but my Patagonia R2 is DWR treated and really works well). I rarely use my rain jacket, usually only when it's so windy the umbrella needs help. I sometimes use a rain kilt if it's cold and windy enough.

I have a homemade pack cover that is open at the bottom, so it does not collect rain like some off the shelf covers will. I borrowed the design from a 1970's era Kelty pack cover. My pack is lined with a silnylon drybag.

The combination of umbrella, pack cover and pack liner has kept me and my stuff drier and more comfortable than any other combination I've tried or seen.

waterproof boots are waterproof both ways...which means once wet inside, that water is locked in. Socks are an amazing conduit for getting the inside of your boots wet, so do your best to protect your socks. For me wet socks will result in blisters, so I really try to keep them dry (and I keep a spare in my clothes bag).

A good drying trick is to spread out wet clothes under your sleeping pad. The combination of the pressure from your body weight and the heat you generate does a better job drying things out in humid conditions than anything else I know of.

Rain gear seems to inspire a lot of debate. I took the hypothermia related approach and decided rain gear was to keep me alive rather than comfortable. Kept things light with a Lightheart gear top, and some REI 50% off sale set of pants that weigh 4ozs. A few times when it rained and was warm I just didn’t bother to put them on. Most of the time tho, rain came with temps cool enough to make being wet uncomfortable so I did put them on. At those temps I didn’t sweat much.

Used a dynemma pack with liner, no cover. Gear was fine.

Images

If you wake up on a cold morning wearing warm, dry clothes, do not fall into the trap of starting your hike in your dry clothes thinking that you'll change back into your hiking clothes after you warm up a bit. You'll sweat in your dry clothes before you know it, and they won't dry out again. Keep one pair of clothes dry at all cost.

Thanks for the great advice. Here is my Trip Report. Happy New Year.

Started hiking in mist which transitioned to light rain and temps in upper forties. Following dinner just before dusk transitioned to a steady rain all night. Rain stopped about 4:00am and temp dropped to upper thirties. Hiked out without rain and trails had drained quickly.

Clothing was pretty well dialed in with merino wool t-shirt and light long sleeve quarter zip. Started getting a little warm hiking and instead of shedding a layer simply slowed my pace and used my zippers to minimize sweat. Poncho worked well keeping my clothes and pack dry.

In addition to the poncho covering my bag I lined it with a trash compactor bag. Trash compactor bag is also handy at camp for keeping my gear dry during pack explosion time. Extra protection for my quilt in a roll top waterproof stuff sack. In the pocket of my puffy jacket I carry a Turkey cooking bag in case I need to store my puffy next to other wet gear.

Used the hint on pack organization and had my tarp near the top for quick setup on arrival at camp. In the morning strapped my wet tarp on the outside of my pack.

Tarp set up was quick and the Dutchware bling really helped speed things up. Set up high in porch mode in the light rain for dinner and relax time. As dusk approached lowered tarp to ground level and set up in a classic A frame. Warbonnet GroundTarp performed flawlessly.

While my hiking clothes stayed relatively dry except for some perspiration moisture I did follow the advice on dry sleeping clothes.

The tiny 1ft square sitpad was not enough for staying warm while sitting cross legged on the cold ground during dinner and book reading time. Folded my thin foam Gossamer Gear pad in a square and was much more comfortable and warm. Enjoyed some hot tea while reading in my puffy jacket.

Hiking out the next morning in the upper thirties I was bundled up nice and warm after a comfortable night. I did feel a bit like a whimp when I saw a trail runner in shorts and a t-shirt. Felt a little less whimsy when I saw the hoody he shed at a trail marker to pick back up later.

POOPing in the rain?

Rain had stopped by morning but as I dug my cat hole I tried to think how I would be doing this task in a heavy rain, particularly when an urgent need presented itself. Hints and tricks?

Not previously mentioned but much appreciated during the rain all night was a pee bottle. Glad I did not have to leave my humble abode in the rain. I use a square ice tea bottle to avoid any confusion with my water bottles.

D237ADBC-85F9-411C-BA37-27C261EA50F7.jpeg

I read "pooping in the rain" then saw a picture of that bottle and was afraid to keep reading lol. There was a pee bottle thread recently and while I always used one, they seemed a lot more popular then I thought.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

POOPing in a heavy cold rain is the worst especially after a big two serving of chili Mac and beef the next morning
    I almost didn't make it a couple times! Tricky to keep the paper try etc. Doing the doody under a poncho is probably as good as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by LazyLightning View Post
    I read "pooping in the rain" then saw a picture of that bottle and was afraid to keep reading lol.
    I should have probably separated into two posts. A #1 post and a separate #2 post.

Or at least used a picture of the clear, empty pee bottle.

What a great trip report. LMAO. I struggle to keep mud and water from getting inside the bottom of a poncho. I can't remember or even imagine pooping in one. Of course on the AT there is an outhouse every 5 - 7 miles. On the PCT, it "never rains in California". My perfect PCT year experience was 2 inches of snow and 10 minutes of rain with a few sputters here and there.

Who cares just rinse the poncho off at the next drinking hole.
    Haha,hehe!

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    We have a lot of wet and cold weather here, and while I try to avoid hiking in such poor conditions, it still happens that I get cought in rain&sleet sometimes.
    As others pointed out, no matter how good your clothes might be, you will get wet eventually.
    The best results I got wearing standard rain gear, plus a poncho atop. The poncho works fine to protect the huge gap (or crevice?) between head/shoulders and the pack, exactly where most of the sleet/rain will be collecting.

One issue I never found a good solution is, in cold and wet conditions there is no way to sit, eat and relax a bit during the day.
    Maybe a quick setup of a tarp might be good.

While the common advice, to never get your dry clothes wet, so you have to start hiking by putting on yesterdays wet clothes, is perfect, for me there is one exception: I'd put on dry socks in the morning.
    By carrying the wet socks close to my body during the day, most likely they will be somewhat dry in the evening.
    When it happens that I'm carrying two sleepingpads (a Z-Pad plus a Thermarest), I'd put the wet stuff between the two pads and found they will dry a bit during the night.

Although I always bring a pair of thick smartwool socks for sleeping (and not hiking) in, I have found that wearing wet socks around camp for a while, after taking off the wet shoes/ boots, dries them out faster than anything else does.
    I wouldn't put soaking wet socks inside the sleeping bag/ quilt with me, but if they are only damp, they will dry inside the sleeping bag/ quilt on my feet faster than any other way.
    If it's just an overnighter, why not put on dry socks the next morning? But if it's a week-long or longer excursion, putting dry socks into wet shoes/boots is a waste of a pair of dry socks (imo) as they will just get wet immediately.

I used to carry a 5'x7' tarp for use as a mini shelter or tent footprint that worked well for creating a small dry place to sit in rainy weather. I quit bringing it because it was dead weight of almost a pound that rarely was used - though if the forecast is calling for rain, it would be wise to bring it (or something similar).

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyslayer View Post
    POOPing in the rain?

Rain had stopped by morning but as I dug my cat hole I tried to think how I would be doing this task in a heavy rain, particularly when an urgent need presented itself. Hints and tricks?

Not previously mentioned but much appreciated during the rain all night was a pee bottle. Glad I did not have to leave my humble abode in the rain. I use a square ice tea bottle to avoid any confusion with my water bottles.

D237ADBC-85F9-411C-BA37-27C261EA50F7.jpeg

Pick your spot when you set up if wild camping. A pre-dug cat hole is a blessing in any weather
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStranger View Post
    A pre-dug cat hole is a blessing in any weather
    I regularly pre-dig my cat hole in any weather the night before. It has come in handy during some urgent early mornings or late night surprises.

I have found that to remember where my pre-dug cat hole is I need to hang some orange hunters tape, usually three. 1) where to enter woods, 2) direction to start walking, 3) at actual hole. For some reason it is hard to find the hole otherwise and I also dig my wife's cat hole so the hunters tape helps her find the hole too.

Poop_2b.jpg

Don't underestimate the value of an umbrella, at least in light to moderate rains. If you can keep the water from dripping all over you, you are way ahead.

Being wet is miserable. There is no good way to avoid it. I avoid hiking in it.

I did take 4 zero days in my tent on the AT cause I just didn't feel like hiking in it. Once or twice was cause of all the views I was gonna miss if I didn't give it a day.
    NoDoz
    -

Images

...Being able to get a roof up and quickly replacing wet clothes with dry layers is key. Being able to do that fast starts with how you pack.

I keep my tarp and stake bag in an external pocket for fast access. Thanks to a bit of Dutch bling I can have the ridgeline up in a minute and four stakes guying it out in another or two. That makes for a safe place to pull out the dry clothes.
    A good suggestion whether its a tent or hammock. But a tarp in a hammock setup is not only easier to setup in the rain, but they typically have more dry s.f. area, especially if you consider the fact that you're likely getting the tent floor wet after you get into the tent.

The Hookworms can be a little challenging once the fingers have gone numb, but the Tarp Flyz can be managed with mittens on if necessary
    I've used a lot of Dutchware for tie outs and have gone to clip-on line locs. Easiest to use in any temp.

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Mac View Post
    As others have stated stringing a tarp before you even pull your tent out...
    wait, what!?! Is anyone carrying a tarp to go over their tent? If you don't mind an extra 10oz, maybe not a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by LazyLightning View Post
    I did take 4 zero days in my tent on the AT cause I just didn't feel like hiking in it. Once or twice was cause of all the views I was gonna miss if I didn't give it a day.
    I think I understand what you're saying?!? Yeah, to be quite honest, I don't know how tent people do it, staying couped up in a cramped space during a rain, blowing up a pad to be somewhat comfy knowing you have to pack that up again. That is, if you're not just hiking through the rain and staying inside the tent instead. Again, you get way more "operating space" under a tarp to pack and unpack and just sit in a chair if you brought one. I since learned after becoming a hanger that I have a tent without walls, which I'm able to get a more physical picture of after an overnite rain with a nice light-colored hex on the ground where a tent footprint would be. Bigger than any footprint I've seen anybody else carrying on the trail. Just sayin'.

p.s. ever watch a thunderstorm at night from your hammock? don't knock it 'til you try it!!
    Last edited by scope; 01-05-2023 at 19:27.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

That's one reason I carry a 2 person tent for 1 person, and the spacey Big Agnes Copper Spur 2 person, so I have space and don't feel like I'm trapped in a coffin if I have to hide in the rain a little... plus there was plenty of time for safety breaks on the zero days in my tent and the extra rest was not unwanted either.

I've thought about the extra tarp idea but never brought one. I was thinking if my fly is already wet or if I know the rain will end by camp, I could keep the fly separate and use it the same way for breaks. If I pack up in the rain to start hiking and everything is already soaked then I keep it separate from the tent body anyway, to keep the body as dry as possible. Just don't want to make it worse and soak it if it's dry or only a little wet and it might be raining when I set up camp later...
    NoDoz
    -

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++