WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Instead of a tarp to go along with my tent, I have used just a tarp and bug bivy, Jardine style, and that works great. The whole setup is only 18 ounces. The tarp can be set up as high as the weather allows, or as low as the weather demands, and gives you a whole lot more floor space than any 1 or 2 person tent. You can walk around under the tarp and enjoy a roomy, comfy camp. In the morning, everything gets packed up and ready to go; the tarp comes down last and you're on your way (hammocking has that same advantage).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyslayer View Post
    I regularly pre-dig my cat hole in any weather the night before. It has come in handy during some urgent early mornings or late night surprises.

I have found that to remember where my pre-dug cat hole is I need to hang some orange hunters tape, usually three. 1) where to enter woods, 2) direction to start walking, 3) at actual hole. For some reason it is hard to find the hole otherwise and I also dig my wife's cat hole so the hunters tape helps her find the hole too.

Attachment 49782

This was a great change in habit for me--too many mornings I was frantically trying to get out of the hammock and get a hole dug before things got serious...not easy in good weather, downright miserable/impossible in poor weather.

I dig myself a hole last thing before tucking in for the night and haven't had any unpleasant mornings since.

If I wake up and things aren't ready, I fill the hole back in and continue on my way.

Protip--if I know rain is in the forecast, I'll dig my prelim hole under a thick tree cover to at least give me a little protection. Also, a rain jacket that zips open in the front instead of a pullover poncho works well for me--I use it like a sort of cape whilst squatting.
    "I am learning nothing in this trivial world of [humans]. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news." --John Muir

I have used a pee bottle rarely. For solid waste, a sturdy plastic bag that can be sealed tightly works, but the one time I used one, the smell escaped even after double bagging. Strictly for emergency use, IMO. YMMV
    Hot water, hot ramen, burning alcohol, all in my lap

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++