WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 15 Days with the Quillen Boys

This backpacking trip happens October 27 to November 11 in the mountains of TN and NC---and includes meeting up with mountaineer John Quillen and friends on Hangover Mt in Slickrock Kilmer wilderness. All pics can be seen here---

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backp...-Quillen-Boys/

TRIP HIGHLIGHTS
    **BMT Thurhiker Momma Bear.
    ** Quillen and Boys on Hangover Mt Day 3
    ** Zero Day on Hangover with Tyson and kids.
    ** BMT Thruhiker ZigZag on Day 6.
    ** 35th Backpack of Brush Mt Trail Day 9.
    ** Thorough Rocky Flats trailwork Day 11-12.

My trip begins in Beech Gap at TN/NC state line on the Benton MacKaye trail. Little Mitten holds Zoe Dog and drops me off for the trip.

Day 1 includes a 3.5 mile hike up to Bob Bald with a thousand foot gain in elevation---while carrying my 95 lb McHale pack.

Near the top of Bob Bald I run into my first backpacker---BMT thruhiker Momma Bear heading south.

We're in a three month drought so the spring on Bob Bald is almost dry. A pump filter comes in handy to suck up liquids.

After a night I leave Bob Bald and head east on Seven Mile Ridge and stop at Butt Rock to prepare for the drop down to Naked Ground Gap.

The spring in Naked Ground Gap is flowing alot better than on the Bob.

It's time for a Tasty Bite dinner---I bring 6 meals at 60 ozs---heavy.

I leave Naked Ground Gap and stay on Seven Mile Ridge and reach Hangover Mt at 5,000 feet and meet up with John Quillen (right) for our gathering. Quillen has climbed Broad Peak and Mt Everest etc.

Quillen and friends on Hangover Mt overlook for their annual October gathering.

Hangover view looking northwest into Slickrock Creek valley and Fodderstack Ridge in TN---and Citico wilderness.

John Quillen and Jon Dempsey on Hangover Mt just as the weather turns nasty.

Jon Dempsey cooking up breakfast in Airjet Camp on Hangover Mt.

Jon's vintage Svea 123 stove in action.

John Quillen in Airjet Camp in a cold October storm on Hangover Mt.

John Quillen preparing to backpack off Hangover Mt down to Big Fat Gap and his friend AJ Sisson says goodbye.

John and friend take some cell phone pics before shoving off.

Now it's AJ's turn to pack up and leave the mountain. I stay for a zero day with Tyson and his daughter and boyfriend.

After a cold rainy zero day the Tyson crew prepares to leave Hangover Mt on a tough descent. I pack up right after and head west on Seven Mile Ridge.

I leave Hangover Mt and reach Haoe Peak at 5,240 feet.

I use my microspikes for traction on the tough section around Haoe Peak.

As I backtrack west on Seven Mile Ridge I run into BMT thruhiker ZigZag pulling his trip south.

I return to the Bob and get some fine weather to set up camp---at 5,300 feet.

After a night on Bob Bald I head west and stop at Bob Tee before trekking down Trail 54A(N) to Brush Mt---the toughest trail on the Citico side.

At Beauty Rock on Brush Mt trail #97---the most remote and hardest trail in Citico wilderness. This is my 35th backpack of the thing and I do thorough trailwork to keep it open.

Passing under the Mother Blowdown on Brush Mt trail---the pack comes off and is scooted underneath.

During the trip my crappy Thermarest Trail Pro pad begins to delaminate.

I finish Brush Mt trail down to Citico Creek and connect to South Fork trail which takes me out to Warden's Field and up Rocky Flats trail.

One of two terrible blowdowns on Rocky Flats trail.

I reach Rocky Flats chimney and set up camp.

I finish Rocky Flats trail and reach Doublecamp Creek and decide to pull a 6 mile roadwalk back to Warden's Field and out to my pick up point.

Backpacking up Citico Creek road to Warden's Field.

After a night on Citico Creek I head west to Indian Boundary road and end the trip when Little Mitten comes for evac.

Images

Thank you, I enjoyed your trip

I would have loved to been there at that campfire for the stories.
    Thanks for sharing your trip .

I must have just missed seeing you on your road walk, I set out from South Fork TH on 11/11. Enjoyed the report and the trail work was most appreciated!

++ New Posts ++